Best Return pump for a 125

KevK

Setting up 125g
I tried to do a search on reef central, but it kicked me out again. This new sight is great. What is the best return pump for a 125 gallon tank with a standard under stand sump for mixed sps/lps tank with about 1200-1800 gph flow? Low running cost in terms of watts, low noise and low heat are most important.

We are running an Iwaki 40 into squid. But we are also running a set of Tunze 6000 for flow. Are you planning on running power heads and what are you planning on keeping for corals? We are not using the Iwaki for the skimmer or calcium reactor, only for return.

Blueline has been getting good reviews, but last time I checked they were backordered.

Do you like the Iwaki 40? I have one but was going to upgrade since I have 2 overflows. I was goning to run dual returns on either squids or ossilators. The plan is to have high current in the top of the tank and keep sps up top, with lower current as you move down the tank to keep LPS and low light/current corals at the bottom.

I just researched and bought a pump for my new propagation system.
Criteria were: energy efficient, quiet and reliable (Price almost a non issue as long as it proved out against yearly elect. savings)
I bought a sequence. 2500 gallons / hour at 213watts about $360.

If some money savings is in order and the pumps are in the basement (some claim they are loud), the Mak-4s are great ...I have 4 running for 2-3 years now.

Last edited:
Custom Sea life T4 ( alittle hot to the touch)
Mak 4 ( has a fan in back than can be loud)
mag 18 (mount external, cuts on heat)

keep the iwaki 40.
i had that on my 125.
add a closed loop.
use one of the above pumps and plumb it into a "spray bar" on a SQWD if you really want random, get two mag 9.5 and 2 sqwds, plumb them on spray bars.... you'll love it and so will your SPS.

Scott Merrill said:
Custom Sea life T4 ( alittle hot to the touch)
Mak 4 ( has a fan in back than can be loud)
mag 18 (mount external, cuts on heat)

keep the iwaki 40.
i had that on my 125.
add a closed loop.
use one of the above pumps and plumb it into a "spray bar" on a SQWD if you really want random, get two mag 9.5 and 2 sqwds, plumb them on spray bars.... you'll love it and so will your SPS.
Go with the random 2 SCWD and 9.5 along with the Iwaki. You will have nice flow.

if pen man and i knew what we know now we would have done like marvin said, but with something like a mag 12.

I have an Iwaki 70 as return pump - one 1.5" drain (2.5" bulkhead) can't keep up with the flow (1400gph +). I have (2) 1.5" drains, but my plan was that either drain woudl be able to handle the full flow.
I also have a Tunze (1850gph) w/controller, and a MJ1200 until I pull it out. My tangs have taken to swimming into the flow of the Tunze.
I will be diverting some of the Iwaki flow to a carbon cannister, so one drain may be able to handle the rest of the reduced flow.
If you are drilling a 125g on the back. I would drill for (3) 2.5" bulkheads, and possibly for some 1 3/4" returns/closed loop

Thanks for your advice

:D I'll stick with the Iwaki 40 for the return and split it into two and run it to Scwd and short spray bars(approx 750 gallons/hour). To late to drill, but I can hook up an extra pump inside the tank @700 gal/hour to another scwd and short spray bars. That should give me about 1450 gal/hr in a 125. If I need more flow or find a dead spot, I'll suppliment with powerheads.

For flow the Tunze is great. I'm shutting off 2 powerheads after adding the Tunze. I'm shutting off 75w of equipment & the Tunze takes about 55w.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back