Best & Safest tool for cleaning glass?

jdeb101

Non-member
What's everyone's favorite? I had magfloat in the past but found I would often pick up sand that caused scratches.

Flipper with a fresh blade works well for me on film algae to coraline algae. If your talking years of coralline, you made need a razor.

Flipper with a fresh blade works well for me on film algae to coraline algae. If your talking years of coralline, you made need a razor.

nope, this will be for a new tank that has yet to grow any corraline. ;-) Just looking for safest and most convenient tool of the trade. Do those of you using magnet cleaners keep them in the display? If so, how do you keep junk from accumulating on the magnet?

I've had some fancy magnetic scrapers over the years, but my go-to device is a simple 4" paint scraper with a single edged blade. I used to get frustrated that even if I rinsed and dried the blade carefully it would rust quickly and no longer be sharp. I realized these blades have a thin coating of oil. Now when I'm done I remove the blade from the scraper, rinse, dry and then apply a thin coat of cooking oil and then put into a ziplock bag. Now they work for 3-4 scrapings, becoming a completely trivial expense. Just remember to wash the oil off the blade before you use it each time or it will likely shutdown your skimmer for a while.

I use a mag float and keep it about an inch off the bottom. Now and then I reach my arm in with a fresh razor blade and scrape the sand bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is excellent. I have been using it for the last 4 years. Got it from Amazon (from Gernany). Replacements also. You can find it too on EBay.

Be careful they are sharp like razor blades.

Kent pro plus magfloat with razor
And tangs, and snails;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back