Best Substrate for Sump/Refugium

AC_Rhino

Non-member
I'm putting together a 10g sump once my baffles get in. It will just be in overflow in, refugium, I guess some trays for carbon or something, and then return out. I will probably use most of the tank for the refugium and keep the baffles as far apart as I can for that. I will likely want 2-4 inches of substrate in that refugium section. Right now on the tank I have a 5g HOB refugium which is great ... but I used CaribSea Mineral Mud Refugium Substrate in it and I don't know if I like it. I will probably need 3-5 gallons to fill the sump with substrate so what is the best option for that? Just plain old sand? More mud? Crushed Coral? I don't plan or growing live corals or frags in there, I just plan on using a plan white light in there. I will definitely use it as a time out room for murder crabs or other things that get on my nerves though. it will be filled with algae of a few types and whatever pods and other lifeforms make there way down. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 199
I use aragonite sand. I like it. I think it would mostly be your preference. If you are looking for anaerobic bacteria maybe a finer mud or very fine sand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back