Best way to clean sump

Platehead

Non-member
Tank is 6 years old. Thinking of pulling chateo and washing it in salt water at next water change and draining sump and vacuuming all the detritus and crap with a wet vac before I put my new return pump in. Am I asking for trouble as the tank is doing better than ever.

also, thinking of putting pump on a new plastic container to keep crap out of it. Is this a good idea?

thx

Tank is 6 years old. Thinking of pulling chateo and washing it in salt water at next water change and draining sump and vacuuming all the detritus and crap with a wet vac before I put my new return pump in. Am I asking for trouble as the tank is doing better than ever.

also, thinking of putting pump on a new plastic container to keep crap out of it. Is this a good idea?

thx
following along...

If you’re saying everything is at its best I probably wouldn’t change the chemistry by siphoning out the ditrus from the sump. Remember everything we do to our tanks has some sort of negative impact on stability and could hinder the tank. If you have a maxijet, attach a hose to it going into a filter sock and suck up a bit at a time so you don’t change things to drastically. I’d also keep checking your nutrients before and after to make sure nothing changed.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back