Big Tank Preliminary Help

littlest reef

BRS Member
Hey guys,

I have not posted here much in the last year but have really enjoyed getting back into the hobby and have made a number of deals on the marketplace filling out my 30 gallon reef.

My basement is being finished currently and things are moving from dreams to serious on a larger tank. Maybe this is blasphemy but I am trying to go fish-only as I have 3 kids under the age of 6 and reefing on this big of scale seems like a mistake right now given how much effort I've put into the 30 gallon. I am aware what I am proposing below is going to be a task in itself but having 200 gal F/O systems in the past I think I will be fine. I am thinking of making it reef convertible as far as lighting etc. I also want to keep a lot of non-reef safe fish.

Guiding principle to the issues I have here is not so much cost but time. I have plenty of time to allocate to the project but I still need to make the most of it.

The space for the tank limits me to about 96" long, and i purposely installed some outlets off the ground and have the wall against my basement utility room so I can get at the plumbing. That said, I don't really want anything to flow over into that room, I'd like most of my filtration/sump to sit under the tank. I am pretty handy so construction/electrical is not an issue, I can work on getting dedicated 20A circuits, etc.

Problem 1 - what tank? I am looking at the Red Sea Reefer XXXL 900 but wanted to go a little bigger. Getting the whole package in one shot and not needing to build a stand would be a time saver, and presumably the sump would fit a sufficient skimmer and all my life support. I have also looked at glass cages and planet aquariums to go a bit bigger, maybe a 96"x30" Wx 30" tall, but I don't know what experience is with these companies. Lastly, wondering if we have any companies in new england that do the tank building on site, because that may solve problem 2.

Problem 2 - how do I get the tank in the house? The bulkhead and door into the room is a straight shot, no turns, but is only 36" wide unless we remove the door frame. The steps down are fairly steep. With something like the XXXL it seems like I'd have plenty of space on the sides, just need the man power and maybe construct a ramp as a backstop to get it down the stairs. Wondering if along the lines of Problem 1 anyone has suggestions on tank movers, or a company that would be good for this kind of operation?

Not a knock on the LFS we have in the area but I have thrown out these questions to a number of stores just to get started and so far have really been told "good luck."

I have a thousand questions but these two probably get me going and if anyone has suggestions on companies to work with on this they probably will answer a number of questions I have. I will post a separate build thread here as things get underway.

I'd love to build a big fish-only tank. The kids will love the big fish.

I did a tank a little over a year ago that involved your two problems. I wanted a long shallow tank for sps and to make an achilles tang happy. I went to glass cages as it had to be custom built and order a 96 inch long, 24 wide, 17 deep tank. I'm happy with it. There are no bells and whistles but they put the holes and overflow exactly where I asked and tank has been fine. And it was really affordable for big custom order. They don't deliver to home addresses now so you have to go to depot and pick it up. It wasn't a big deal, just rented ryder truck and people at depot put it on with forklift. I will say that the packaging by glass cages was incredibly flimsy (just cardboard) but there was no damage, so no harm, no foul.

Getting in the house. I was the same way as you, basement with a straight shot through the bulkhead with fairly steep steps. I just got an 8 foot board and lay it on the steps at every angle to make sure there would always be 17 inches of clearance. It wasn't too tight but I'm not sure if 30 inches would have worked. In any case, it's easy enough to figure out. I had a total of six people (I teach college so asked the biggest kids in class to help) with four suction cups (borrowed from Joe Rice on our forum). The Ryder truck had a ramp so it was no problem. If you go glass and your size that'll be twice as much weight so I'd definitely want 8 people and six suction cups at a minimum.

I built the King of DIY stand. (I can dredge up link if you need it). It's very easy. I'm only modestly handy and I built it in a weekend though worked much of both days on it (and I didn't do the doors). It cost about two hundred dollars of lumber. With current prices and a bigger tank you might be more like 400-500.

That was my experience. If you're considering glass cages and want to take a look at their work, you can drop by and look at my tank if you're close to belmont MA

If money is not a problem. Hire a local moving company. Their rate will be high but they have the man power and the rig to do it.
My first 360G, I hired a local moving company. They charged me $600 and was done within an hour. I thought this was quite easy since the basement was a walk out and had double doors.
When we moved here a couple years ago, I decided to put the tank on the first door which poses a little more issues with the steps and the front door being only 36" wide when the door is removed. I made the tank 34". I talked to a couple local moving companies and they all want $1000-$1200. After talking with a couple friends, I was able to round up 6 guys and myself and the moving event was about an hour. 45mins of planning and 15minutes of actual work. With moving company, ask them for their warranty if they break the tank.
I've given up on LFS around here too. On both occasions, I've tried to give them the business but they all shrugged me off or simply did not return my call after saying they would. The best answer I got was "Yeah, maybe we can help". MAYBE. I have an 800lbs tank sitting on a crate and I'm not waiting for a MAYBE and if you don't have enough guys, I have a pile of broken glass on the floor. T

Both responses helpful. I am thinking moving company if only because if I have friends move it and something happens it will create an awkward situation where i can't recover for the broken tank but also, broken tank.

Tank wise moving towards the Waterbox Reef LX 320.7 if I can actually get one.

@this is me do you remember the moving company by chance? I am also contemplating asking the contractor that is finishing the basement as they are already insured for the job.

I used Borman Brothers in Pepperell MA when I was in Pepperell MA. They’re highly skilled with rigging. I think they do work all over the country.

That’s quite a tank. Think it through. If you can avoid turning the tank on its side, it will be a lot easier when you have the suction cups on each sides and walk it in with the dollies.
I love having big tanks. But it is a headache getting it in. But you only have to do it once. Hopefully

If we didn’t move in this market were not leaving until the aliens take over. Talk to some companies today. I think a ramp can be made to minimize manpower.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back