BioCube 29g with Radion XR30w

Looking good. For ca/alk I am starting to lean towards kalkwasser myself as my tank is starting to starve for nutrients.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That was my thoughts... I was going to use my ATO to do that but realize the pump will take a beating and I am now leaning away from that idea. Maybe doing a slow drip system now? What was your plan?

Here are a few more of the aquascape... left allot of room for growth and room for fish to swim around the structure. Sorry, I am not a photographer lol

20180330_072004_HDR.jpg
20180330_072013.jpg
20180330_072040.jpg
20180330_072157_HDR.jpg

I still use the ato but this way I control when and how much I dose and the ato just supplements the rest of the top off.

Also, I am starting to research my first fish I would like to get in a few weeks... I know there are 2 fish that are on my top list. I am assuming the clownfish should be the first addition but that is my assumption? I would love some feedback on the 2 types of clowns and the jawfish. Also the best one to add first?

- Single Clownfish (trying to decide between 2 types, they are from different types in the family and don't know the major behavior differences if any)
1. Phantom Clownfish - http://cultivatedreef.com/product/ultra-phantom/
2. Lighting Maroon Clownfish - https://www.orafarm.com/product/lightning-maroon/

- Single Yellowhead Jawfish

The clowns are going to be hit or miss in my opinion. The maroons are very aggressive and will probably destroy the phantom. Again not a expert but maroons don’t really accept other clowns ( or your fingers o_O )

The clowns are going to be hit or miss in my opinion. The maroons are very aggressive and will probably destroy the phantom. Again not a expert but maroons don’t really accept other clowns ( or your fingers o_O )
Yeah sorry if that was confusing... I only want 1 clown and trying to decide between those 2 types. But your feedback helps about the maroon, i have heard they are more aggressive and that makes a big difference for me

I decided to take a risk and go an alternate route for filtering nutrients. I saw the series on Triton method by BRS and had to know more... Then I had to find a way to make it work in my Biocube lol. I considered a hang on refugium but wanted to keep it simple. So I removed everything from the center section and raised my ATO sensor to get more water back there. I eatimate it to be about 1.75g. I also measured the display and it looks to have 20g in it by measuring. I am not sure but i am assuming the 29g is total maximum capacity these tanks hold before spilling over. Not the normal operating capacity. I also noted that when i filled the tank last week... I used 4x 5 gallon natural sea water containers, which surprised me.
So, i am about 8 percent for a refugium.
I plan to add a skimmer (tunze, not sure yet) in the upper far side of the refugium. That should work well giving it allot of contact time with the refugium to remove proteins.
I plan on adding GFO/ carbon in the bottom of the return section. There is a bottom door down there and it should keep good flow going through the mix. Trying to decide whether to use a basic net and wedge it down there or build an acrylic box and use drilled holes to make a mini reactor style thing...
I place marine pure balls in the bed of the refugium.
I will keep the progress posted. If this works with no water changes, no media to change and grows healthy coral and fish... Man i am sold!
Still need to decide how to dose, and get started... Making sure my tank is stable and through the cycle phase. I have been aggressively dosing Bio Digest and havent had any readings thus far...

20180401_000514.jpg
20180401_000549.jpg

My 29 holds total water volume with rock and sand right around 20 gallons , including the rear chambers

Finally got a fish in the tank. He is healthy and eating. Has an awesome personality. So nice not just staring at a pile of rocks for weeks lol
I did have a slight amm spike after adding him but it lasted 2 days and went away. Probably should have waited another week or two. But he is doing well and I really like the markings.

Lighting Maroon Clown

Last edited:
So having a Tunze in the past on Biocube, and not being happy with how tough it was to keep it dialed in chamber 2 coupled with wanting to try out a different style of filtration, I bought and tried out the Aquaticlife 115 in chamber 1. I was very disappointed with the noise and the fit with reduced flow through chamber 1.

I decided to try a custom Coralife Biocube skimmer modified.

668793-2fedac2ee7d129c640623a68beb42bb7.jpg
668794-f2a4ad7be120c044b28d2449f89ab785.jpg

I used the stock skimmer and purchased these longer air stones. For the air pump, I replace the stock one with a Tetra 20 whisper.

668795-0cd3de92f9a3236e538ad0cd968a4a69.jpg

I found a stock vacuum with the same diameter tube as the stock skimmer had but much longer. I cut it down to 10" and put the skimmer tube on the vaccum hose to keep it useable
clear.png

668796-a5a3b294bd9802c6bad28621e137225b.jpg

Here it is assembled

668797-158496f90a39db902a901ada2becef24.jpg

Here it is being tested in the tank, the stock water height was too low. I found it ideal just under the top black part on the top section. So that required me to custom make a mounting bracket to keep it at that height. The stock suction cup on the top would hit the tank rim and won't work.

668800-66d40ab7bf813d5c51f1ae15ed2be9e4.jpg

I used the bracket from the Aquaticlife 115 and cut a slot the coralife holder slide into. It works awesome but was a ton of work.
After one day in use it dialed right in and is already pulling out dark green gunk!!!

skimmer-cup-jpg.723438

Before doing this I also created some more room in chamber 3 by removing the sponge wall. This allowed my MJ1200 to sit on the suction mount properly and run very quiet. As well as have some room for a carbon bag, heater and ATO bracket all in chamber 3.

668803-e30bb03dff60505e1e994cd01e379ddf.jpg

I wanted to keep the option of having sponge filter but being able to change it cheaply and easily and/ or remove it all together depending on the need of the tank. I had an old InTank media rack that was broken so I crafted a custom sponge holder. It works awesome and completely silenced the waterfall noise in the back.

668805-58f3433ecbc4f6ae718abce808e1ced8.jpg

So here are my rear chambers:

Chamber 3: MJ1200 Return, Cobalt Neotherm 100w Heater, Neptune ATK with float valve removed
Chamber 2: Refuge w/ ceramic bioballs and rubble then custom sponge filter feeding
Chamber 1: custom skimmer, temp probe and a few more bioballs in bottom

rear-chamber-top-jpg.723445

The rear cover you see above was custom made from an old stock lid. I love the way it looks really gives the tank a finished look.

Here is another shot with it closed:

top-side-tank-shot-jpg.723446

Next was upgrading the refugium light in the back to really boost my growth. I went with Kessil H80. Mounting it onto my existing alum light bar I installed to hold the Radion worked well.

kessil-mount-2-jpg.723450

Here it is on:

668814-d341bb67f6b508d337cad6e24fde14c7.jpg

I do have allot of light kicking off the sides of the tank. I am now building a plastic shroud to block the spill of light. I will update when I get that done should be a few days but for now it really isn't too bad.

night-tank-shot-jpg.723457

And before bed got some power mounted and fired up the light.
Really like the overall look so far and i have some plans to finish off the top of the cube.
Already started running into some equipment issues but will look into those over the next few days.
Radion shuts off after few minutes, but i havent programmed it yet.
MP10 isnt firing up, seems to have a bad connection at driver to power...
Here it is...

View attachment 118812View attachment 118813View attachment 118814
Looks beautiful

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back