Biocube 32 Kessil Canopy

wpeterson

BRS Member
We broke down our mixed reef last Fall, but my kids were sad so I setup a Biocube 32 as a FOWLR tank. The LED lighting is not good, but I’ve really come to appreciate the closed canopy. It does a much better job at blocking glare and the amount of evaporation even in dry winter air is so small I still haven’t hooked up our ATO.

We’ve previously run Kessil A360s on goosenecks over open top tanks. I love these lights and kept them from our old tank, but the glare and esthetics of them was never great.

I’m planning to switch to a single Kessil A360 over the biocube, but I’m reluctant to run it open top with the goose neck. That seems to be where almost everyone ends up with this tank.

Do folks think it would be practical to mount an A360 in the stock hood? If it was a shallow mount (less than 1/2”), I think airflow/cooling would be fine. I haven’t found anyone doing this successfully as an example. I fear it would be too low/close to the water surface in this setup.

Alternately, should I try to buy/build an aftermarket 3 side canopy/rim? Curious if folks have any advice or anyone here has the fabrication skills to make that happen.

PXL_20220122_214113259.jpg

Nice! Doesn’t get too hot or heat up the tank?
The kessil alone didn't cause any overheating issues. I run a uv sterilizer in one of the back compartments and that does heat things up. For flow I use an mp10, so there is basically zero heat transfer there.

I have the tank on an apex, so things turn off one at a time when the temp climbs. I have a small chiller, but chillers are a pain do it is not hooked up.

I do keep my house below 74ish in the summer.

Little tanks can be a challenge to keep cool in general, so I find that even the most basic and ancient aquarium controller is a must have.

Made with $12 of random whatever from home depot and a dremel.

wow, I’m impressed! Do you mind sharing what materials you used to build the mount? I saw some metal mounting brackets out there for use in hybrid fixtures.

One issue I do have is that the light is pretty close to the water so I have a bit of a flashlight effect. The edges of the light cone are good for shrooms and lps. The center of the tank has about 300 par at 8 inches below the water level. 6 inches lowe and 6 inches for the left or right, par is 100. So it's a flashlight. That's the biggest challenge, but with careful aquascaping and coral placement, it's ok.

I run skimmerless and I do find that my O2 levels were low enough to need an air stone in the back.

wow, I’m impressed! Do you mind sharing what materials you used to build the mount? I saw some metal mounting brackets out there for use in hybrid fixtures.
Sure I can figure out what I used and update this thread tonight.

I have the 16gl Coralife cube with an A80 sitting right on top of the lid.. I gutted the lid and cut a hole in it the size of the lens and zip tied it in place. its been running for just about a year now. only got a little too hot on a couple of the hottest days this past summer. I used frozen water bottles as a chiller worked out great...

So the way this is constructed is not super obvious. My priorities were 1) it had to look tolerable. The tank is on a kitchen counter and domestic tranquility, well, you know. 2) At the time I installed this, my kid was just learning to walk and I was very concerned that he would stare into the LED. He is a bright kid, but let's face it, toddlers do stupid things in the name of learning (excuses, excuses!). So the light adapter was designed to eliminate light spill and the possibility of him looking up into it. 3) it had to be easy to remove, but could not just slide off.

the outer tube: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Fernco-4-in-x-4-in-x-4-in-dia-x-5-in-L-Cap-PVC-Fitting/1000075371

Innner tube: https://www.homedepot.com/p/FLEX-Drain-FLEX-Drain-4-in-Copolymer-Drain-Cap-ADP53305/206101287

First, I took the outer tube (a drainage system cap) and I cut a hole in the top that almost removed the entire top, but kept a lip around the edge:

PXL_20220122_230409498.jpg

Next, I took the other drain cap that was used to make the inner fitting and I cut it as follows:

Screenshot_20220122-182432.png

Next, I took the inner tube And trimmed it so that it would be shorter:
Screenshot_20220122-182603.png

I then cut notches in the outer tube to accommodate the flutes on the inner tube. (Not pictured).

I then inserted the inner tube into the outer tube so that the trimmed edge of the inner tube extends into the hole I cut into the canopy. This keeps the whole thing from sliding off the top when I bump into it.

The kessil sits on the flat surface of the inner tube grate thing.

PXL_20220122_231419218.jpg

PXL_20220122_231416231.jpg

PXL_20220122_231408948.jpg
PXL_20220122_231412499.jpg
PXL_20220122_214203449.jpg
PXL_20220122_230258550.jpg

Does this make sense?

I should also say that 1) no part of the kessil lens is blocked by this, 2) I don't think it restricts airflow, but my kessil may not last as long, 3) if you set a kessil on a solid surface while it is turned on even for a moment, you run the risk of melting the lens and burning the surface you set it on, 4) this is for the a360we model, which is what I had on hand. Not sure of the diameter is the same on the newer models.

Last edited:
Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back