Bioload?

soccer4life94

what raises your bioload?
Do snails and crabs add to your bioload at all?

Im running a 72g bowtank with a 30g sump/fuge. 90lbs of LR
The tank cycled in about 2 weeks.
I added 4 zebra hermits, 4 Astrea snails, and 1 emerald Crab.
All my parameters were good except the nitrates were 30. They said that was normal to be that high at the end of my cycle, so i did a 20g water change before putting the inverts into the tank. My question is how much of a bioload do these guys add to the tank?

Not much bioload at all, most people would probably say that it is insignificant and do not even factor in your inverts when you're figuring out bioload for fish. The only bioload you will see from your inverts is when one of them dies, but it would have to be a big snail/hermit/crab to do any damage.

Well, Im about to place an order and I need the order to be at least $75. The tank is almost three weeks old. It cycled in about 2 weeks. All my parm are in the clear. After the order my tank would have the following:

5 Nassaius, 4 zebra hermits, 2 Emerald Crabs, 4 Astrea Snails, 5 Cerith snails, 10 Spotted Conch, then a pair of Clown fish.

I wanted to know if this would be to much for my system to handle? After this I wouldnt be adding anything for 3-4 weeks

What do you guys think?

I don't know anything about the spotted conch (I couldn't find anything on them when I did a quick search), but I know conches in general get VERY big and 10 of them might be a bit too much. Other than that I don't see anything wrong with the rest of the stuff you are ordering, for a 72g you might want to get a lot more of the smaller snails, like 20 of each of the nassarius, astrea, the margarita snails are pretty good too. Just my $0.02 :)

The spotted conch dont get very big at all...and they reproduce like rabbits. They are pretty hard to find, but I hear they are great to keep since they eat alot and are small enough to get most places. Anyone have good results with the fish at skiptons? As in Ick and things like that.

Hey Kelly,
Glad to hear it's going well. The inverts all sound good. I'd be leary of fish or corals at this point. A 2 week cycle (while not imposible with nice fresh rock) is almost to good to be true. I'd say another 2 weeks of good solid peramiters is in order before hardy fish and corals should be introduced.
Just my .02 as they say......
Marc

I think that's probably a smart .02. So far everything is sitting pretty as far as parameters go. I think I will focus on getting some plants in the fuge, and maybe finish getting the inverts and then test again in a week or two. Thanks guys.

I also would have to disagree on the fish, although if I'm not mistaken, from our phone conversation, they would go to a quarantine tank now and not to the main tank for 6-8 weeks.

You know, the prices for clean-up inverts aren't that bad locally. No, they can't beat online prices, but with shipping and losses...

Moreover, you have the option of not having to buy a bulk and adding them all at once. You can rather pick up a few here and a few there from this store and that, and not only can you make sure they are alive, but you can introduce them over a period, and get a better feel for when the tank has enough,

Matt:cool:

ya, I know the prices arent that bad. I just got alot of weird answers and such from my LFS, kinda made me iffy with them. As for the fish. I would have placed the two clowns directly into my main tank while my QT was cycling. I have a friend who has been ordering from this site and not gotten anything from them so far. He QT's all his orders also. So I fig I would be pretty safe on the first fish additions and if not, by the time I needed the QT, it would be ready. I think I will prob just stick with the LFS for now on inverts. I would like to get the fuge light going this weekend and maybe go ahead and get some plants goin in there. Then let things settle for a bit now. I was thinking it was alittle fast. that's why I posted here. I fig I would get reigned in pretty quick with you guys. :) Way to go guys lol.... Hey marc...how did all those clams settle? The pics were just beautiful. Made me wish my tank was ready to get one from ya.

Petco

...has the best price on a brandy new AGA 20. I shopped around locally, and aside from the one I got at Salvation Army (mint condition!) for 8.99, You are looking at about 35 bucks.

my coral beauty is from Skiptons and is doing quite well (2+ months old now). Skiptons has some of the best looking fish around imo.

Sounds like you are ordering from Saltwaterfish.com

I will say that their packaging was quite good and everything (snails,fish,coral,hermits) all arrived alive for me. I didn't order anything that was known to be a tough shipper either, didn't want to chance that.

well, is the package from Petco have everything needed? I thought I once saw a package setup. It was like 20g with a biowheel filter, a hood, light and a heater. Can anyone confirm or anything?

Some of the packages are ok. Depends on what you are trying to accomplish. 20G is a
pretty good sized qt, just remember once you start using it as qt you pretty much have to keep it that way. The meds will pretty much leach into everything in that tank.

the bad news

Kelly,

The petco thang is just a glass box. I'm using a Penguin 330 (20bucks) and an aquarium systems seaclone (80 bucks). I also have an additional power head with an oscillating head for additional current($$?) and the Custom Sea Life Power compact (100 bucks). For heat I have a 150w via aqua titanium tube heater with thermocouple and external thermostat (18.99). 10 lbs of seachem pre-seeded sand is 20 bucks, and you can get 10 more lbs of southdown from someone who has way too much (most people on the list i'm sure).

That's my nano tank. Total cost, with salt and s/h ? 300 bucks tops.

wow...thats alot of stuff for a simple QT tank. I didnt think you were supposed to have sand at all in a QT. ETS - I would love it if I could go smaller, but i thought for the tank size i have some of the fish would need a bigger tank. who knows huh? :)

Back