Bioload?

Most of the time you just run a QT with water and heater, some simple filter(can even run a filter floss filter with a little air pump. You don't really want any substrate on the bottom. It can hold things you don't want like parasites and chemicals. Usually as soon as you are done with whatever time frame you are containing something, you (I) change the water and filter media and start fresh. JMO

Kelly,
I think your cycle hasn't finished at all. 30ppm nitrates is still cycling, IMO. You should wait until the 'trates drop off to zero.

An issue of semantics....a-gain

Moe_K said:
Kelly,
I think your cycle hasn't finished at all. 30ppm nitrates is still cycling, IMO. You should wait until the 'trates drop off to zero.
I guess this is a semantics issue again:rolleyes:

If there are nitrates (NO3-) present, and undetectable nitrites (NO2-), then technically, the nitrogen cycle has completed; the microorganisms responsible for converting organic nitrogen to nitrate have been established, and any original reduced organic nitrogen has been fully oxidized to nitrate. However, in my opinion, for reef aquaria, this does not mean your tank is established, or even closed to being there. In short, completing your nitrogen cycle is just one step on the road to having an established reef aquarium.

From my personal experience, with high quality live rock, the nitrogen cycle can happen very quickly. Blink and you can miss it. However, the tank has a long way to go to being established, and there is no test kit for establishment. I personally think test kits as a whole give ballpark estimates, at best, and thus should not be relied upon (except at the beginning or when something goes horribly wrong)

In my opinion, 30mg/L nitrate for a new aquarium is a good sign, and this nitrate will abate as it is consumed by algae and exported by water changes. I would not worry at all about such a nitrate level.

Nitrate reduction to nitrogen gas (N2) can occur by way of a variety of pathways, and is a different process from the nitrogen cycle we talk about. The cycle that we talk about refers to nitrogen oxidation from organic nitrogen to nitrate, not reduction of nitrate back to nitrogen gas. All our aquaria have different nitrogen reduction pathways and mechanisms (i.e., some of us use a DSB, while others use a bare bottom tank), and therefore, I would personally not wait for nitrogen gas bubbles to appear in the sand and nitrate to drop to zero.

Personally, I feel you are ready to add your cleanup invertebrates a little at a time, and perform water changes as necessary. Without a fish load, I believe your nitrates will eventually abate.
soccer4life94 said:
...I think I will focus on getting some plants in the fuge,...
Kelly,

Having plants (more specifically macroalgae) in your refugium will greatly help in pulling thos nitrates down. Watch for good growth during this time,

Matt:cool:

Last edited:
dont' get stressed. Just try to take in exactly what Matt said. If you have additional questions just ask em, but what he said is pretty spot on IMO.

Well Matt and I already agree on that. Im pretty sure the actual cycle is over. Now would I add a fish right now? no...Im going to start with a nice cleanup crew. give them a few weeks to get established, finish stocking the fuge. Then I will look inot some fish. Oh well, this just shows you how there is no definitive line in this hobby. We all look at parameters in a different light.

no definitive line but I promise you, you won't find anyone that added a fish after 2 weeks that still has that fish today! (unless 2 weeks was 2 days ago)

I agree...but once again...look hard enough, I have learned, and your bound to find a person who has done anything and lived to tell the tale :) ya never know. For the time being, Im very happy with starting with this small cleanup crew. you guys have yet to steer me wrong.

My only advice is to just relax and have fun. Its a hobby, after all; a passtime we're supposed to enjoy! Many times there are right and wrong, but there are many other times when there are shades of grey. The slower you go and the more patient you are, the more fun you will have,

Matt:cool:

cjburden said:
You forgot to add also, unless it's a damsel. ;)

LOL Oh yea right,
And you forgot to add: unless it's a damed-sl that you've been trying to net out and swearing at every time you try.

lol....I think my smartest move has been not using any damsels. Well, I took a trip up to skiptons with a friend today and let them test the water again just to see what i got. Everything is looking great. Parameters are staying steady. So not its time to work on getting this fuge to be something other than sand and water. Keep me busy while I let some time go by before adding anything else to the tank. Its got a nice small cleanup crew right now.

Back