Bleached tips

Bostoncoral

BRS Member
Hey guys. Sps rookie here. .. generally speaking, what are bleached tips a sign of?

Attachments

• 15198814440041827336800.jpg
    15198814440041827336800.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 254
Could salinity swing cause this to happen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I found this.....
It is hard to identify SPS corals in aquariums because when they grow they do not necessarily take on the shapes we are accustomed to due to the type of lighting we use, the water motion and the proximity of other corals. As a result they are hard to ID correctly in many cases.
The fact that the corals are bright in color does not necessarily mean that they are healthy.
Acropora is very prone to bleaching or loss of Zooxanthellae. Certain species are more delicate. Get input from your dealer and buy only the hardier types if you do not have a lot of experience with SPS corals yet.
Rapid growth is a sign of good health.
Bleaching is the loss of Zooxanthellae and color. This does not mean the coral is dead though. All the polyp tissue is still there. The only thing that has happened is that the symbiotic algae and pigments are gone. These corals still survive but need more care.
Sometimes the bleaching can be reversed with good lighting, good water motion, and good feeding.
SPS corals, especially Acropora types, grow rapidly if well cared for.
The following factors can cause bleaching:
Stress during shipping.
Sudden rises in temperature to over 84 degrees F.
Light shock or the too rapid switch from one type of lighting to another without giving the coral enough tim to acclimate itself to this new lighting.
Not acclimating the coral for long enough
Stress due to wrong tank water quality.
Sudden over use of GAC for too long or in too large a quantity.

Placing a coral in a shaded area after it has been used to a high amount of light creates stress. So does the opposite. Such changes need to occur slowly.
There is a big difference between bleaching and rapid tissue necrosis. The latter is loss of tissue whereas in bleaching no tissue is lost.
In RTN the polyp tissue starts to disintegrate, often at the base of the coral, and sloughs off. If water it directed at it, the tissue detaches from the coral and floats around, the tissue is dead.
What helps in fighting RTN?
Large water changes (immediately upon noticing RTN or signs of it).
By large here we mean 30 percent or more at one time

Mine is from salinity for sure. I don’t have an ato and just dump 2 gallons of water in on refills. That fresh water spouts right back above my frag racks.... (doh!).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could be growth but if you are using gfo it might be bleached tips can't know for sure without more info
No gfo. Just purigen and carbon
Alk between 8 and 8.5
Just added an ato last week. Was topping off manually in the morning and night before bed.
Dosing brs cal and alk powder mixed in ro water when needed which is very little maybe once a month

Could salinity swing cause this to happen?

Like arsangel i was topping off manually too. In the morning and night. Maybe that is it?
Added an ato last week

If there is a slight algae growing on the tips, do you guys think that it is bleached, or dead?
Thanks
I just realized how bad that pic is. Ill try taking a better puc today with the whites on

Algae does not sound good. Is the rest of it still doing fine? Maybe snip the dead tips off and try to save the remaining if the die off is not continuing down the frag?

If algae is growing on the tips, the tips are dead. What lighting are you using?

He is using T5 about 4” above the standard fixture feet 6’ tank

Algae growth means it is dead. If it is dead and the flesh is coming off cut below the dead part so the whole frag does not die. RTN will take the whole frag out if allowed to spread.

The tips do look dead. I would be hard-pressed to believe this is an stn event as those usually begin in the center or at the base of the affected Coral. I would look towards lighting or alkalinity burn for this

Ok cool. The coral is arounf the half to 3/4 mark of the tank. Lights are on 9 hrs a day. 4 blue plus bulbs on at 4:00pm then the 2 coral plus and 2 aqua blue special come on at 5:00pm then the whites off at 12:00am and blues off at 1:00am.

Here are better pics of the worst of them. Also the monti cap in the last pic was doing great then tank crashed 3 months ago and then it started to come back pretty good but the last two weeks have not been looking good!

Attachments

• IMG_20180301_222445.jpg
    IMG_20180301_222445.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_20180301_222445.jpg
    IMG_20180301_222445.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_20180301_222438.jpg
    IMG_20180301_222438.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_20180301_222428.jpg
    IMG_20180301_222428.jpg