Brine shrimp candy dish

coralfishreef

BRS Member
I tried this the other day. This is the start of the 2nd batch. Will post additional photos tomorrow.

Instead of using the small sieve scoop, I found that using a small 3 mL pipette to transfer the baby brine shrimp to the tank was easier. I put too many eggs into the hatchery the first time and the eggs kept hatching for 6 days. This time I put less eggs into the hatchery.

Used a 3D printed brine shrimp hatchery from thingiverse.

912879DC-FC7F-4951-BD7C-D4F98DEBAFF0.jpeg

FF93410E-532F-40E9-8800-BC71FF06F43C.jpeg

7096A719-208C-4970-8927-A5B280BB3C7A.jpeg

I tried this the other day. This is the start of the 2nd batch. Will post additional photos tomorrow.

Instead of using the small sieve scoop, I found that using a small 3 mL pipette to transfer the baby brine shrimp to the tank was easier. I put too many eggs into the hatchery the first time and the eggs kept hatching for 6 days. This time I put less eggs into the hatchery.

Used a 3D printed brine shrimp hatchery from thingiverse.

View attachment 149608

View attachment 149609

View attachment 149610

id love to see how it works for you

The 3D printed hatchery is a smaller version of the brine shrimp direct hatchery.

Hatching baby brine shrimp is one of the easiest and most satisfying things that I’ve ever done in this hobby. It is really fun to watch the fish frantically swimming around like Pac-Man.

I would even suggest that the club give out a tiny amount of brine shrimp eggs in one of the club meetings for people to hatch at home if that hasn’t already been done.

Some questions I received about the hatchery.

Q: Did you print this up yourself or buy this somewhere?
A: I downloaded the files from thingiverse and printed the pieces. I wanted to see if it was worth spending $30 for the brineshrimpdirect hatchery. This 3D printed dish was meant to be a trial.

Q: Can you give more details on the (hatching) process?
A: Here are the instructions from brineshrimpdirect -

My process:
1) Fill the hatchery dish with mixed saltwater. Recommended is 25 ppt. I used pre-mixed 35 ppt, but I could’ve diluted this down to 25. I’ll dilute down to 25 ppt for the next batch.
2) Add a small amount of eggs to the outer ring.
3) Add light. I’m using the same light for the phytoplankton. The hatchery is right beside the 3L phyto jug.
4) Wait 24 hours for the initial hatch.
5) Harvest and keep harvesting baby brine shrimp for around 6 days. Harvest from the center circle. The egg casings are left behind in the outer ring.

Q: Do you use this as your main food or just a supplement for fun?
A: This was just for fun. I may also explore raising some full grown brine shrimp fed with dry phyto powder or live phyto for fun.

Last edited:
Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back