Bristle Worm? got me

mvallee

Non-member
After all these years with my hands in the tank I finally got stung by what I think is a Bristle worm, I sent it for a ride after taking a couple pics and a videos, does this look like a Bristle worm to you?

IMG_20190324_083604.jpg

IMG_20190324_141523.jpg

IMG_20190324_141717.jpg

Yikes, I’m sure you’re feeling it now. Try vinegar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also, use strong tape to try and pull out the pricks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow. I have picked them up with my hands but never got that much. You musta startled it into defensive mode!

Good luck with the healing process!

This is actually a serious issue. I've also had a pretty large number of bristles get into my knuckles. I believe it has accelerated stiffness and pain in the hand that it occurred in (many years ago). Yes, you can use vinegar (which is just dilute acetic acid) to dissolve them. You can also use some diluted hydrochloric acid (muriatic acid). They will dissolve in just a few seconds before your skin will suffer any real damage. Whatever you do DON'T just rub them off (like me) as you will just push them in deeper. I also do not recommend the tape idea, not likely to help and also may imbed further into the tissue.

This is actually a serious issue. I've also had a pretty large number of bristles get into my knuckles. I believe it has accelerated stiffness and pain in the hand that it occurred in (many years ago). Yes, you can use vinegar (which is just dilute acetic acid) to dissolve them. You can also use some diluted hydrochloric acid (muriatic acid). They will dissolve in just a few seconds before your skin will suffer any real damage. Whatever you do DON'T just rub them off (like me) as you will just push them in deeper. I also do not recommend the tape idea, not likely to help and also may imbed further into the tissue.
I did just rub them off and soaked for a bit in Vinegar, I think I got lucky because today just a small spot of redness with a little tenderness and do not think I have any Bristles still embedded.
Thanks for the advice, much appreciated!

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back