Brooklynella

Anyone know if mandarins can get brook? I unfortunately just lost my 2 c quest onyx clownfish to Brooklynella. It came in on a newly acquired fish I bought from one of our sponsors.... I’m not going to put them on blast because I should’ve quarantined but it still sucks and leaves a bad taste. I’ve had the same 3 fish (onyx clown pair and a Ruby red dragonet) in this tank for a year now and nothing was added(Fowlr setup) until I decided to get this fish. The Ruby red seems to be doing fine and is still active and eating but the clownfish have succumbed . I’m wondering if the Ruby red dragonet will also catch or spread brook?

It's possible for dragonets to be asymptomatic carriers of almost any disease.
What should I do with the dragonet and the tank? She’s doing just fine but I’m afraid the “fallow” period won’t apply if she’s still in there and if I were to put her in a different tank and run that one fallow, wouldn’t it just contaminate it again as soon as I put her back in?

You’d need to treat her.
+1 Using Chloroquine or "Hybrid" Tank Transfer Method:

+1 Using Chloroquine or "Hybrid" Tank Transfer Method:

Out of curiosity, why not formalin baths?

Out of curiosity, why not formalin baths?
IME; mandarins do not always tolerate formalin well.

Another option I just thought of:
  1. 90 minute bath using Ruby Reef Rally (which is better tolerated)
  2. Dose metronidazole every 48 hours (for 10 days) in a QT just to be sure Brook is completely gone

It's possible for dragonets to be asymptomatic carriers of almost any disease.

how long would Brook stay in a tank if there’s only 1 a symptomatic fish that lived through it? I’m wondering if I keep that Ruby red in the tank and not add anything for 10 weeks or so if the Brook would die off or would it rear it’s ugly head once a new addition is added?

how long would Brook stay in a tank if there’s only 1 a symptomatic fish that lived through it? I’m wondering if I keep that Ruby red in the tank and not add anything for 10 weeks or so if the Brook would die off or would it rear it’s ugly head once a new addition is added?
I think dosing Metroplex every 48 hours for 2 weeks would have a better chance of eliminating Brook in a tank: https://humble.fish/metronidazole/

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back