BRS Annual propagation workshop at Greg's

I was one of the lucky ones to go last year and learned a lot. I watched the boards as much as I could and just happened to be there at the right time. We (I) am grateful that Greg does this. Please let Moe and Greg set up this as they see fit. If you are one of the lucky that gets to go great. If not there are a number of things you can do.
1. Go to MACNA and sign up for Greg?s seminar.
2. If you have a specific coral that you would like to frag ask a fellow experienced club member to help you out and show or tell you how to do it. I am sure that you will get lots of help.
3. Wait till next year and try again.

I have an option #4 that ties into #2 . . . buy a large colony with a group of your friends and ask one of the officers to help you find someone knowledgable in fragging to help you cut it up.

RobboT said:
I have an option #4 that ties into #2 . . . buy a large colony with a group of your friends and ask one of the officers to help you find someone knowledgable in fragging to help you cut it up.

Great idea;)

We'll do the hat raffle thingee. We feel the wind and we bend. ;)
3 day sign up. It'll be June 1-3.
I'll pick numbers a week in advance at a bar in metrowest (that'll be Friday night the 4th).
Anyone who wants to be present at the bar should feel welcome. If nobody's interested, maybe I'll just drop by Gustavo's and draw numbers there. He keeps a few cold beers at the ready. ;)
There will be no nonsense nor manipulation of the numbers.

So much for my spectacular idea of:

1. stalking the thread,
2. stealing a coveted seat,
3. then selling it to the highest bidder!!!

UNFAIR!!!

:p

Here's an observation:

Rather than reacting negatively to suggestions by blowing time commitments out of proportion as compared to the time commitments already required to set up a meeting, raffles, auctions, etc., why don't people consider whether an idea has value before putting massive effort into stonewalling?

If an idea has value, then look at costs, time or otherwise, and make it clear that help is needed, and solicit the help, or delegate the task coordination to someone else.

That is the role of leadership, to assess the forces at work and provide direction, and delegate plans and organizational tasks... not to delegate decision-making, thereby causing stasis, suppression of creativity, and inaction, by demanding that those who provide feedback also provide the answers on a silver platter. I have seen organizations go totally down the tubes after adopting that approach to managing feedback.

However, this sword cuts both ways:

Those providing feedback should be ready to step-up to the plate whenever they are asked to help implement their suggestions. If they do not, if they just continuously whine, if they do not proactively append to their complaints the question, "what can I do to make this happen?", whenever appropriate, then the leadership will justifiably become burned-out and overwhelmed at taking care of a bunch of whiners.

Hmmm... came across a bit harsher than I intended. Owel.

Kent

Moe_K said:
Anyone who wants to be present at the bar should feel welcome. If nobody's interested, maybe I'll just drop by Gustavo's and draw numbers there. He keeps a few cold beers at the ready. ;)
I like this idea!!

objectfire said:
Here's an observation:

Rather than reacting negatively to suggestions by blowing time commitments out of proportion as compared to the time commitments already required to set up a meeting, raffles, auctions, etc., why don't people consider whether an idea has value before putting massive effort into stonewalling?

If an idea has value, then look at costs, time or otherwise, and make it clear that help is needed, and solicit the help, or delegate the task coordination to someone else.

That is the role of leadership, to assess the forces at work and provide direction, and delegate plans and organizational tasks... not to delegate decision-making, thereby causing stasis, suppression of creativity, and inaction, by demanding that those who provide feedback also provide the answers on a silver platter. I have seen organizations go totally down the tubes after adopting that approach to managing feedback.

Those providing feedback should be ready to step-up to the plate whenever they are asked to help implement their suggestions. If they do not, if they just continuously whine, if they do not proactively append to their complaints the question, "what can I do to make this happen?", whenever appropriate, then the leadership will justifiably become burned-out and overwhelmed at taking care of a bunch of whiners.

Kent
Wow. No good deed goes unpunished, I guess. Thanks.

If youre going to do a hat thing I'd like to get my name in there. If there's a chance that I'll go is there any way to sign up for membership there? I havent been able to make any meetings, I have 2 boys that play soccer on saturdays. I have a tank with just water in it right now. Can hardly wait to get some LR in there. This workshop would be a cool thing.

objectfire said:
Here's an observation:

Kent

Very good points Kent sounds like a campaign platform. I would just like to remind you, as Moe has done in the past, that we are talking about a reef aquarium club not the federal government.

Taco3rd said:
If youre going to do a hat thing I'd like to get my name in there. If there's a chance that I'll go is there any way to sign up for membership there? I havent been able to make any meetings, I have 2 boys that play soccer on saturdays. I have a tank with just water in it right now. Can hardly wait to get some LR in there. This workshop would be a cool thing.

Check back here June 1, 2 and 3 and put your name on the list. Good luck. :)

Moe_K said:
Wow. No good deed goes unpunished, I guess. Thanks.

Comments were mostly in response at the long diatribes by others, not at your responses, Moe. Just got tired at seeing the dismissive lectures at people for expressing their concerns, instead of relieving the pressure of the issues without suffocating them.

RobboT said:
Very good points Kent sounds like a campaign platform. I would just like to remind you, as Moe has done in the past, that we are talking about a reef aquarium club not the federal government.

Then I suggest that your comments should have been directed to those who issued the diatribes, instead of at a deeper analysis of the issue.

Kent

Last edited:
All righty then.
Is everybody done?
Lets drop the commentary. I'm too tired today.

If anyone has questions on the prop class, feel free to ask.
I'll start another post on 01Jun04 for the sign up.

Moe_K said:
We'll do the hat raffle thingee. We feel the wind and we bend. ;)
3 day sign up. It'll be June 1-3.
I'll pick numbers a week in advance at a bar in metrowest (that'll be Friday night the 4th).
There will be no nonsense nor manipulation of the numbers.

I think this is a MORE fair way than whomever the first 10 to sign up are. You can't please everyone, but thank you for attempting to please most. (though I probably would have had a better shot the other way ;) )

Hey, let me get this right. :confused: To be involved in this so call a class to learn is we all have to fight over it. :rolleyes: Boy, if I could teach to bunch of people about something and get very popular I will try to do it more then once a year. :D I know we have a lot of members would like to learn. For other people who learn and are trying to experimenting from what they learn. They may not be comfortable to help others cause they may not feel they got enough experience to help. So if possible, ;) maybe we should have more then one class and have a good reasonable fee for their time and effort.

Well this is my 2 cents on this matter, remember everyone this BRS is to learn, to help, to enjoy our hobbies.

objectfire said:
Comments were mostly in response at the long diatribes by others, not at your responses, Moe. Just got tired at seeing the dismissive lectures at people for expressing their concerns, instead of relieving the pressure of the issues without suffocating them.

Then I suggest that your comments should have been directed to those who issued the diatribes, instead of at a deeper analysis of the issue.

Kent

I think I am guilty of the diatribe. So, here is my concern. Moe has agreed to pick 10 people out of a hat. Since this is no longer a first come, first serve list, does he need to pick 20 or 30 names so as people cancel he knows who to call?

I also wouldn't say my, um lectures, are stonewalling. I wanted people to realize two things. One is that no process is fair to everyone. The other is that something that seems to take 5 minutes, may actually take far longer.

If you do not like the current process, talk to officers about how you would like to head up a commitee to automate the selection process for the next time a similar event comes along. The solution could be something as simple as a random number generator that you input the number of random numbers you need, in this case 10 (maybe 20 so you have a backup list) and the ending number. So if 50 people sign up and you need a list of 20 you input 20 and 50 into the program and it spits out 20 random numbers in value from 1 to 50 without duplicates. Someone on the commitee posts a thread in the forum and then is resposible for collating the names, assigning each a number, and then posting the current list of who will be attending. The committee would also be responsible for keeping track of cancelations and informing the next person in line that they can now attend.

Solutions to problems should be permanent solutions that offload work from the officers, not one time solutions that potentially create more work.

Heck with fairness...why don't we auction off each seat and turn this into a real fair market environment...highest bidders. X dollars would then go to fund the prop session at Gregs and the rest goes to BRS. The people that don't get to go...there's always MACNA or private frag lessons if you can hire Greg.

The hell with licking the zooanthids....I'm gonna smoke them...or better yet, any one got any clean needles....I don't care, dirty needles will work to!

Back