BRS Gyre Test

maldenreefer

Non-member
This question spawned from a conversation with @dz6t but I was curious wanted to hear from other members of the community as well.

In the above video BRS is doing a comparison test on powerheads on whether they create a gyre or not. Aside from the actual Maxspects, the Tunze 6085 powerhead seemed to visually gyre flow the fluorescent pellets the best. The narrow stream seemed to be the main reason for the gyre in contrast to the Hydor Koralia unfocused stream which did not seem to perform well at all.

My new project tank will be a 50 gallon cube with 24" x 24" sides so my thinking at the time was that I did not need that strong of a powerhead comparatively given the dimensions of the tank in the video. So I went with a Tunze 6055 and a 6045. They will be purchased in parallel to each other and have their flow unobstructed by the rockscape. Do you all think I can accomplish that gyre flow with this setup? And does anyone feel that the Tunze powerheads are a poor choice?

Here are their statistics from BRS:

Model Flow Rate(GPH) Energy Use Diameter Output Diameter Controllable Tank Size

My choices:
Turbelle Nanostream 6045 400-1175 5-7W 2.7" 1.5"/.59" Adjustable 10-135 Gal
Turbelle Nanostream 6055 250-1450 4-18W 2.7" 1.5"/.59" Yes 10-135 Gal

BRS Test:
Turbelle Stream 6105 700-3400 35W 3.5" 2.48" Yes 50-525 Gal

I can’t speak on the gyres but I can say Tunze Powerheads are an awesome choice. They are silent and very durable.

As long as they are strong enough to hit the other side you’ll create the gyre effect and those tunzes are probably strong enough for a 4 ft tank

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back