BRS kalkwasser vs 2 part

aresangel

Tim- 2020- Secretary, 2019 BRS President
BRS Member
Ok,

So I got a doser, saw the Father’s Day sale and ordered BRS 2 part... or thought I did. Checked shipping email and I got kalkwasser!

So here is my question. Since kalkwasser is on the way, what is the major pros/cons of kalk vs 2 part?

Also since kalk is missing magnesium should I buy a magnesium packet? I have been dosing coral up for the last 3-4 months and have screwed everything up with lack of stability. I was hoping 2 part would save me from messing it up, but alast, I ordered the wrong thing.

What’s everyone’s preference and reasons? (Btw. BRS is out of their 2 part right now so I am out of luck either way for that unless I buy the bulk package for $100.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At some point Kalkwasser may not be enough to keep up with your alk and calc demand, specifically if you have a SPS dominant tank. I feel I have better control with two part to get my levels. You may get away with Kalk if you have mostly softies, lps..

At some point Kalkwasser may not be enough to keep up with your alk and calc demand, specifically if you have a SPS dominant tank. I feel I have better control with two part to get my levels. You may get away with Kalk if you have mostly softies, lps..

At this point I have mostly softies because the lps did not take kindly to my negligence /swings from hand dosing. The sps definitely hated that because they all left my tank.

I just want a “self dosing” system so I can’t screw it up as bad as I did. I also don’t want to mess up my ato pump though...

I have used both kalk and 2 part. Sometimes together and had a well stocked SPS tank.
The trick with kalk is to get the parameters where they should be. Say 450 ppm Cal and 8-10 dkh alk.
Then add slow. Kalk need to be administered at an extremely low rate. I had about 180 gallons in my system and would add it via a top off with a Aqualifter pump. Used a 30 gallon Brute trash barrel as my holding tank. One or two table spoons of kalk per gallon RODI.
2 part helps to correct what might be off/ And yes, I did dose Mg. Back in the day that was trusty ole driveway Magflake ice thaw.:p

Last edited:
I dose 2 part in equal parts. I switched because I absolutely can’t stand perception. It makes a mess in my ato reservoir even when I only add the clear solution to it. Eventually it’ll precipitate out and leave a milky skim in the container.

I am a huge fan of limewater. It does a great job of keeping a higher pH and providing cal/alk to they system. I would dose separately as much kalk as possible - meaning the least amount of top off water your tank will use on any one given day in a one year period. I would then supplement the two part for whatever the kalk is not able to handle on its own.

I strongly advise against mixing the kalk with your ATO. You should dose the kalk consistently year round the same amount every day and run the ATO separately. If you tie the kalk with the top off then you will be dosing fluctuated amounts and struggle to dial in the amount of two part you need to supplement every day.

As far as the Mg goes you can test for that like once a month and see if needs to be increased or not. This will primarily depend on what salt mix you use and how often you do water changes.

I am a huge fan of limewater. It does a great job of keeping a higher pH and providing cal/alk to they system. I would dose separately as much kalk as possible - meaning the least amount of top off water your tank will use on any one given day in a one year period. I would then supplement the two part for whatever the kalk is not able to handle on its own.

I strongly advise against mixing the kalk with your ATO. You should dose the kalk consistently year round the same amount every day and run the ATO separately. If you tie the kalk with the top off then you will be dosing fluctuated amounts and struggle to dial in the amount of two part you need to supplement every day.

As far as the Mg goes you can test for that like once a month and see if needs to be increased or not. This will primarily depend on what salt mix you use and how often you do water changes.

Thanks for the input. The ato fluctuations makes sense. I am returning the BRS kalk package and just ordered the 2 part now that it is back in stock.

I think the 2 part will be more stable for me and less math :). I do like the pH advantage of the kalk, but my gut is telling me the 2 part solution is easier to maintain.

Thanks for the input. The ato fluctuations makes sense. I am returning the BRS kalk package and just ordered the 2 part now that it is back in stock.

I think the 2 part will be more stable for me and less math :). I do like the pH advantage of the kalk, but my gut is telling me the 2 part solution is easier to maintain.

I agree on the two part if the tank doesn't have a high demand. A system with high demands would need the kalk and the 2 part or a Ca reactor.

Good luck and you can always add the limewater down the road if the demands increase!

If you are going to dose Kalk, use a gravity fed dripping system like this:

Kalk can ruin a dosing pump head.

If you are going to dose Kalk, use a gravity fed dripping system like this:

Kalk can ruin a dosing pump head.

I have been using a dosing pump for a gallon of kalk a day for almost a year without any issues. Doses 1/4 gallon 4 times daily.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back