Bubble tip anemone question

danb73

Non-member
I’ve been researching BTA’s for a while and have always wanted one but wondering if it’s worth all the potential headaches. Many people have said they can be the best or worst thing they’ve done in the hobby. I just want your opinions as I would love to have one. Really appreciate hearing other people’s experience’s with them.

I like mine, ive never had any "headaches," not sure what you mean by that? I think its just another great thing to observe lol I cant get mine to bubble though

The fact that they move around can cause issues with other corals and also getting into power heads. I know you can take precautions but it is still challenging.

Keep them on an island away from your main rock work. If you see them moving yoh can try moving the rock to a different location or grabbing it and putting it back somewhere on the rock.

The fact that they move around can cause issues with other corals and also getting into power heads. I know you can take precautions but it is still challenging.
Got ya, I used a hydora powerhead and now a mp10 and never had an issue in 5yrs of owning an anemone with that. I have had to move corals because of the anemone, that's never really bothered me. Once the anemone finds a place he likes they usually stay there. Mine have stayed in their chosen spot for years.You mentioned that you'd love to have one so I say pull the trigger on one. If after a month or two youre not digging it you can always find someone on here to buy it off you. Do you have any fish?

I’ve always had a nem in my reefs I feel like it wouldn’t be a reef with out one. I always get my bta way before I start getting coral this way it has free reign over the tank to find its spot. I did the same thing with my new setup but instead of my nem finding its spot it disappeared on me and I haven’t seen it in 2 weeks. I’m thinking it’s still alive because I have not seen any spikes in my levels. I definitely recommend keeping a close eye on it if you do get one as they will go into power heads and will sting coral as it moves. If you see it getting close to a coral just move the coral.

Got ya, I used a hydora powerhead and now a mp10 and never had an issue in 5yrs of owning an anemone with that. I have had to move corals because of the anemone, that's never really bothered me. Once the anemone finds a place he likes they usually stay there. Mine have stayed in their chosen spot for years.You mentioned that you'd love to have one so I say pull the trigger on one. If after a month or two youre not digging it you can always find someone on here to buy it off you. Do you have any fish?
Yes, 2 tank raised clownfish

Thanks for the responses, I definitely think I’m going to try one but will take all the precautions you guys have mentioned. Hopefully it will go well, they have awesome color and hopefully it will host my clowns.

When I first introduced my first RBTA it stayed put for 5-6 months then split and moved a little. I have since shut that tank down and started an other with a island for the RBTA. They have taken over the island and I now sell RBTA every few months when they spread to the back glass. They do move slow so if you see them moving toward a powerhead you can take action to prevent a slice and dice

RBTA.jpg

I have 3 in my tank first was from @Reefer508. TY. It moved to where it was comfortable in the tank and stayed put for over a year+ at this point it has split 2x and they all stay close to their birth place. gave 1 to a buddy and put 1 in my wife's tank. When they move on to the glass they are removed very easily.

Just make sure you pick the one that has the colors you want. There are so many different types of RBTA/BTAs out in the market.

@Joker I got 1 in the grab bag from MoFo Corals at the holiday party. I put it the tank and it pulled a Harry Houdini on me for 3 weeks. Then one day there it was in all its glory on the complete opposite side of the tank.

Thanks for the responses, I definitely think I’m going to try one but will take all the precautions you guys have mentioned. Hopefully it will go well, they have awesome color and hopefully it will host my clowns.
Awesome, let us know how it goes

I started with two a couple years ago. It’s since split 18 times.... wish I never added them. It wouldn’t be an issue if they didn’t plant their feet so deep in my rock work preventing removal. I’ve since removed two rocks with the majority of them, but still have three or four in my tank that keep getting bigger and stinging their neighbors.

My bubble tip split last night for the 1st time I'll be happy to give you one If you made your mind having one you reef tank

I myself have had a fairly large rose Bubble straight sitting on some pulsing xenia and it had no ill affect whatsoever and it was there for 2-3 days I was quite surprised. They also came into contact with zoas and ll I just seemed to have good luck I guess

I've never had issues with any BTAs. I actually just put a second RBTA in my tank a few days ago and stuck it right next to the older RBTA as it hadn't ever moved around and they're both sitting there nice and happy. I also don't keep any corals that I wouldn't miss if they got stung by a moving BTA so there's also that

Back