burnt tips

jdeb101

Non-member
Is it possible for SPS tips to bleach/burn if exposed to air for about an hour? I did a water change last weekend, and the top of my birdsnest now shows white tips only on the top branches that would have been exposed. I still see some polyps on the tip, it's pretty much the flesh on the branch itself that is white.

45FCDE86-EEE8-40E3-9777-9022B469BD0B.jpeg

If they exposed to air (out of water) for an hour, that is pretty normal as the tips are dying.
Coral can be out of water for about 5 to 10 minutes provided they are kept wet.
Clip off the dead tips and it should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If they exposed to air (out of water) for an hour, that is pretty normal as the tips are dying.
Coral can be out of water for about 5 to 10 minutes provided they are kept wet.
Clip off the dead tips and it should be fine.

Thanks Dong! Never realized it was such a short time of exposure that could cause die off.

Hmmmm...some of my stags are out of the water during water change and I never see any issue with it. We had a power outage in the middle of the night in the winter and I didn’t feel like starting up the generator and they were fine til the morning.

Because when you did that, your light was off and the wave might keep them wet.

Yep, I had lights on prob at their highest peak for the day (it’s a kessil) during it so makes sense. I cut the white tips off which I don’t mind, it was due for a pruning anyway. We’ll see how it recovers!

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back