Buyer Beware! Stuartf Experience

Frag Freaks

BRS Sponsor
BRS Member
I honestly hate to make this type of a post, but unfortunately, I have not had the best experience with a recent transaction with a member of this group. I do not want to be posting this prematurely, but I have not had any response in over 16 hours.

I often buy, sell, and trade with many members of this group, and luckily through my years have had many great experiences. Things do and can happen during the selling and buying of used equipment and I myself have been on the other side of this situation but have always done what is needed to make the situation right. For sitting equipment there could be issues that had been forgotten or unknown due to the lack of use. If issues are known, they should be fully disclosed with the for sale posting.

I recently purchased 3 WAV pumps from @Stuartf . He had assured me being the original owner that although they were purchased 18 months ago, they had only been used for two months and had sat ever since. Nothing was ever replaced and in working order.

After we had met up to make the transaction, I had gone home and soaked the pumped in vinegar overnight (as I do with any sort of used equipment purchase). I did notice the pumps had a faint bleach smell but did not look too deeply into it as I figured the seller had gone through efforts to clean them as well.

After the soak, I went to test all three pumps to find out that none were working. One had a clear short (power supply blinked when plugged in), one was unresponsive to programming (showing 44% with no RPM), and the third not being able to be recognized at all. Without getting into details of the exact steps, I went through all the normal troubleshooting tips recommended by Neptune. I have seen these issues in WAVs before from personal purchases as well as customers and already knew that there would be nothing more I could do without sending back to Neptune for repair/replacement. I did speak with Neptune and was able to verify that the issue is not with my 1link but rather the pumps as all my other pumps function regardless of the port being used and that the problem does not follow a propeller.

Without going into all the conversation details here, I had contacted the seller. I will say that the responses from the seller were very few and far between. He was not very communicative in addressing the issues I had brought to his attention. I would say he did not read my messages fully as he made some false accusations along the way. I let him know what was going on and had let him know how I wanted to proceed which was to send the pumps back for a refund and I would cover the shipping costs. However, the seller currently is unwilling to take the pumps back. I had made it clear I was not demanding nor begging for him to accept the return, but if he would choose not to make it right I would exercise my right to leave feedback about our transaction, cut my losses, and move on. He suggested for me to send to Neptune, however since the faulty pumps had been provided to me and I had expected working pumps I am not sure why that would be of my responsibility.

This feedback is to re-iterate the Buyer Beware sticky within the marketplace forum. Ultimately, I would have liked to think that this type of incident would not occur within our group. Part of this is my mistake as well for just taking someone’s word for it rather than requesting to see the pieces of equipment functioning or more detailed pictures. A word of advice to all before making a purchase on this site is to ensure you have plenty of pictures, videos, (or see in person), etc. prior to purchasing. With the pandemic and the inability to just walk into other homes to see things running, those aspects are crucial for the reassurance of the purchase of used equipment is working.

I am sure there will be responses to this post, and everyone has their side of the story. I would ask that this post remain as intended, feedback of a transaction, and not a thread full of arguments. I prefer not to have to resort to screenshots of texts to defend my feedback. For anyone who is interested or has concerns with purchases from the same seller, I am more than happy to speak with you via PM or phone call.

Last edited:
sorry bud for your experience. That really stinks maybe he will think this through more and reach back out to you maybe he is embarrassed that he did this. I know personally if this was me as the seller I would do the right thing. many people on here are like my reefing family. Stay safe my friend.

Im back here after about an 8 year hiatus. When i used to buy/sell on BRS there was a feedback feature and everyone had a score, you could leave a negative/neutral/positive and a comment for the user after a transaction. Is this really not a thing anymore? I dont feel that just because only members can make sales it is a deterrent at all if people do have ill intent. $20 is cheap money to join BRS for sales, reach a huge target audience for your item, and potentially rip someone off. Single items in the reef hobby can be well over $500 on average, so as i said $20 is a drop in the bucket if someone wanted to be grimy and do that.
I am using BRS on mobile so maybe i am mistaken and that feedback feature still exists? If not, i find it borderline stupid if that has been removed. If there was a good reason, than forgive my ignorance.

Well I wish I saw this feedback before making a deal with this lowlife.

Here you go:

I recently had an issue with this same person. He went by a different name now, homegrownreef. He sent me a picture of this torch
9BAFEEC8-8B1F-4A58-9212-F87876728516.png

But sold me this one:
12360D4B-64A6-4E44-A79B-04AA558A9827.jpeg

I message him after the purchase and to his credit agreed to give me the money back and we could meet up next time he was down in the area (he lives in maine) that was over a month ago and I haven’t heard from him since 11/5. He had told me he was coming down to the area around 11/20 but haven’t heard anything since. I have spoke. With other members besides this op regarding this person who has issues with him as well as a lfs in the area. Recommend not doing business with him. First time I was scammed on Brs in the 10-15 years I have been on here.

Both of those accounts have been banned. This individual has been apart of multiple bad deals with club members on multiple occasions.

I've been lurking for awhile but just registered to contribute that he (Stuart F) is active here in Maine; created/moderates a popular Facebook group. Has also organized frag swaps and other events. Many people have purchased corals from him; he conducts himself as a business (I don't know whether it actually is or not).

I have personally had a couple interactions; both turned sour when he changed the terms last minute and acted like it was my problem. As a result I personally won't make any transactions with him.

He also misrepresented a trade deal with a well known LFS in my area and burned that bridge. Owner of said shop is one of the most generous types of people too, so it really bothered me.

It's disappointing to see there is a history of this behavior to add to my observations.

Hello is this the guy? This guy took me for so much coral I did a trade with him, and he gave me almost none of the corals he said he was trading me. I couldn’t tell because the zoas were closed. He has been shady ever since the deal at the farmers frag market saying he is never in Massachusetts to get me the corals he owes me. I mean like I have him over $400 worth of coral and he gave me like $5-10 frags of cheap zoas instead of the ones he said he was giving me. Well that explains why he always has an excuse.View attachment 185621
Yep thats him. Buyer beware to each their own. Sucks that there’s recent reports of soured deals with this guy still going on.

It’s funny, I haven’t heard from him in over a month and this morning he sends me a message on here from the homegrownreef saying he was coming in here to “get my contact information to meet up” conveniently the morning after I post this. I’m not sure if he has a store or not but when I met him he had a company vehicle that was not related to the hobby, not going to put the company on blast. I have his cell but I’m not going to post that either in the open. Everyone should just be careful if they have interactions with him.

I had a bad experience also. Tried selling a sca cube tank for cheap wanted it gone before I left for a week vacation and he was first to respond and said would come that Friday the day before I left texted him Thursday making sure was coming. No response untill I was out of country so I passed to to next responder.

To follow up, Stuart messaged me this morning after I posted. He believes there is no issue between him and the LFS owner, so I'm here to clarify that.

I didn't ask Vance for a follow up. Maybe I misunderstood what he told me, or it's water under the bridge now.

I'm not interested in being in an internet squabble, so I won't post any more on the issue. As noted originally, Stuart has had a number of transactions (presumably successful) around here and continues to contribute to the hobby, so it can't be all bad. I have stated my personal experiences.

Stuart is also apparently readily available to discuss things via Facebook Messenger.

Happy reefing!

CDB8958A-7B78-471D-9EAB-5C38B77B49D1.png

For all those that have dealing with this person good luck. Please report anything you receive from him. I've banned his multiple accounts numerous times and will continue to do so.

Thanks,

BiGGie

For all those that have dealing with this person good luck. Please report anything you receive from him. I've banned his multiple accounts numerous times and will continue to do so.

Thanks,

BiGGie
Thats all that can be done is to ban membership of anyone that takes advantage of another member. As adults we all should see and realize that this group is a privilege to be part of so isnt building health happy relationships with our fellow reefers and anyone who abuses that right shouldn't be part of it. It's sad because for most of us this hobby and group of people are a outlet from our personal life stress-related problems we all go through and yes this hobby can be stressful at times but we all enjoy it enough to keep going but at the same time no individual should cause issues to another we all should be there to releave stress and support each other. I hope we all learn from this situation and keep positive happy reefing from me to you

The majority of scammers will move on from my experiences here in the past, this one seems to think that people forget. He even cried to a couple officers at FFM as to why he was banned in the first place. As long as we all do our due diligence and report them, we all benefit. Thanks all

Only if static. DHCP will always assign a new one. You'd be surprised how many members have used the same IP addresses.

Also, when they're banned that particular IP address does get banned along with an email associated with that particular account.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back