Slombardi Mixed Reef

Perfect. That tank looks immaculate even the water’s crystal clear.
Thanks! I do have a small patch of gha that I pick at during water changes every week, but I didn't put that in the pictures but it has slowly been going away

Tank is chugging along. No real updates or changes. Planning on changing the sump this month to make more room in my stand.

Favorite new piece.

20201205_191002.jpg

20201205_184331.jpg

And a side view.
20201205_190806.jpg

FTS
20201205_190611.jpg

Love it. I stuck a piece of felt on the magnet so that it does hit the glass so harshly when I move it.

That's actually a great idea hadn't thought of that! The magnet is def strong enough!

This tank has to have some of the thickest coraline rocks I have seen. So pretty.

What is the acro in post #18 second photo in the center? Some sort of tort? Maybe a Miyagi? Its beautiful. Stunner imo.

This tank has to have some of the thickest coraline rocks I have seen. So pretty.

What is the acro in post #18 second photo in the center? Some sort of tort? Maybe a Miyagi? Its beautiful. Stunner imo.
Thank you! It is the Cultivated Reef Electric Miyagi tort. Started as a little nub almost 2 years ago.

Got new fiji cube 24 sump installed. Downsized so that I could fit 4L dosing containers. Equipment in the stand-
- Klir 4
- TLF Reactor with carbon
- Old AI Prime for fuge light
- Tunze DOC 9004 skimmer
- Kamoer x4 doser (dosing 140ml of Aquaforest Component 123 each day)
- Ecotech s1 return pump
- Tunze ATO

20201219_084517.jpg

Due for an update! If you don't want to read the whole post, basically my Nitrates went to zero and I starved my corals. Now things are trending in the right direction again.

I went through a rough couple weeks to start March. In short I believe the issue was my Nitrates bottomed out (because I have no idea what else it could have been). In a matter of a week nearly all of my sps corals turned brown, lost all polyp extension, gonis closed and over tank looked like crap. Ironically I sent in an ICP test (attached) on 2/20 (before I knew I had an issues) and everything was on point besides iodine a little low.

2/20 - Sent ICP and results came back looking good
2/23 - Corals looked meh (polyp extension not great, could tell something was off)
2/24 - Didn't want to panic so ran tests and let it sit for a day to see if it would bounce back (N-0, PO4-.04, ALK-8.8, CA-426, MG-1370, PH-8.03)
2/25 - Tank looking worse so when in doubt do a WC ( 40% change, and changed out the carbon in the reactor)
2/26 - Tank looks even worse!
2/27 - Buy Neonitro and dose 45ml over the course of the day (Nitrates rise to 5)
3/1-3/7 - Keep dosing nitrate and feeding the tank like crazy with reef roids and other foods, turn off filter roller, skimmer, carbon reactor and reduce fuge light period.
3/8-3/15 - Corals coming back to life. Currently lost 2 acros. 1 acros and 1 goni not looking great. Many corals not with great color yet, but coming back and have PE again.

I know the 0 nitrates in the beginning should have been a red flag, but my tank has ALWAYS had near undetectable nutrients. I have always depended on using the Aquaforest supplements to feed the coral, and for while had a lot of success with that. I think that the issue was I never increased the dosing of the coral foods. I increased my 2 part to match my alk/ca/mg demand, but that was it. As my frags grew to colonies, they required more food and I was not providing enough which cause the tipping point and they starved.

In the past my first reaction to anything being off in the tank has been, when in doubt do a water change! In this case I think the large wc and the new carbon only made the problem worse, driving down nutrients even more.

I have now increased my feeding significantly and will be monitoring nutrients more closely. All my filtration is back on online as well. I think the fuge and skimmer offline decreased my average PH by about .15.

During the week when my tank was on the downward trend I test for stray voltage, tested my RO and salt water tanks, re calibrated my refractometer, ordered secondary test kits, etc.. Tried to cross anything off the list I could think of. And no had not made any changes to lights or other settings on the tank. Below are a few pics of my tank from January and comparison to the week from hell.

Resized_20210302_184414.jpeg
Resized_20210206_142226.jpeg
Resized_20201226_132455.jpeg
Resized_20210302_184739.jpeg
Resized_20210302_195847001.jpeg
Resized_20210103_162510001.jpeg

Attachments

• Triton 2.20.pdf
    159.7 KB · Views: 301
Everything was looking better with color coming back and polyp extension back to previous state, but then rtn came in swiftly! Luckily I was able to frag the tips of most of the acros in an attempt to save the piece and bring it back to life. My WD, Ding Dang Milli, ORA Frogskin, Sunset Milli have had the colonies fully rtn, but the fragged piece is still holding on .

This green slimmer is the easiest one to gauge the rest of the sticks coming back based on the picture. You can see from the middle working to the tips the deep green showing up again. Same thing with the monti.

20210318_195630.jpg

20210318_195621.jpg

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back