Calcium Reactor Recommendation

jcherepo

BRS Member
Hi Everyone - Wondering for those of you who are running calcium reactors, can you give a recommendation to what you are running? I have done some research and I would like to convert from the full Triton method. Currently running a 180 with 40 gallon sump. A few torches left and no SPS... but a ton of purple gorgonian that I cannot trim fast enough.

I have stopped the 4 stage dosing altogether and am beginning an AWC of 2 gallons per day.

Nick has been kind enough to share some great info with me. It sounds like spending the money on a good regulator is the key. Just looking to keep compiling my research before making the investment.
Thanks,
Joe

I don’t think you need a calcium reactor without large amount of SPS, dosing will be easier.

If you are only keeping mostly gorgonians, they do not consume much calcium and alkalinity even they get really big. These are sea fans that have very little calcified skeletons.
Torch and most Euphyllia will be happy with water change.
i don’t think you need the Triton method either.

Yeah if you don’t have a lot of sps and lps, it’s not worth the investment and effort of setting up and the risk of running a carx IMO.
I survived dosing a 200gallon tank with sps and LPS.

sorry, I was not too clear in my original post. My goal is for SPS dominant tank long term. Just happens to be that after 2.5 yrs of Triton and stray voltage from a bad powerhead, all SPS died off after a 6 month period. I was getting really nice growth during the time I would note. I ran a few ICP tests and NDOC over the course of 4 months and everything came back perfectly in line with recommendations. I was perplexed and frustrated. Unfortunately, gorgonian and a few torch heads are the only thing that survived. Obviously something went haywire after a good 2.5 yrs (although a short time in reef keeping time) and am looking to rebuild from the ground up...
Thanks,
Joe

All i can say is get something rated bigger than your actual water volume. So you dont need to run really low ph on calcium reactor .. ex .i got a 90 gallons and run a reactor rated for 200 gallons heavy loaded .. so i run my reactor @ 6.75 ph .. i also use a dosing pump dosing 10ml of kalkwaser every hour to keep tank ph at 8.4 during fay and 8.1 night .... my efluent is dumped at skimmer intel to stabilize ph and after goes to refugium for caeto to consume any co2 left . I run a redsea 220 with carbon doser regulator and kamore dosing pulling water from reactor ... have had no problems with it and my alk is solid 9dkg ... hope this info helps

Last edited:
All i can say is get something rated bigger than your actual water volume. So you dont need to run really low ph on calcium reactor .. ex .i got a 90 gallons and run a reactor rated for 200 gallons heavy loaded .. so i run my reactor @ 6.75 ph .. i also use a dosing pump dosing 10ml of kalkwaser every hour to keep tank ph at 8.4 during fay and 8.1 night .... my efluent is dumped at skimmer intel to stabilize ph and after goes to refugium for caeto to consume any co2 left . I run a redsea 220 with carbon doser regulator and kamore dosing pulling water from reactor ... have had no problems with it and my alk is solid 9dkg ... hope this info helps
Eddie I got to buy a simple carbon reactor for a 90 gallon any ideas?

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back