Calciun +alk randys recipe

I use calcium chloride from Dr Forster and Smith, which certified and also used in their Liveaquaria facilities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As for baking soda, Randy had stated clearly years ago that you needed to use food grade that sold in supermarkets.
One more note for other supplements, you need to use USP grade that is acceptable for food, drug, or medicinal use.

Oh really? I got mine from Walmart, it's pictured on the top of this thread. This food grade?

I will check Costco out. Thank you Dong

I got my calcium chloride in a sealed container as well from Amazon. Aside from closing the cover tightly, I also rubber band the bag that contains the calcium chloride squeezing out all the air before I tie it

Oh really? I got mine from Walmart, it's pictured on the top of this thread. This food grade?

Yes it is.
By the way, I will suggest using baking soda as it is (Randy's #2) instead of baking it to turn it into carbonate.
Coral consume baking soda directly.

I got my calcium chloride in a sealed container as well from Amazon. Aside from closing the cover tightly, I also rubber band the bag that contains the calcium chloride squeezing out all the air before I tie it

It is the "Drive Way Heat" product that I will not use regardless what container it came in.
Also it contains up to 1% of Bromide.
There is no much know about what excess bromide can do in reef aquarium, but when Dow Chemical changed their DowFlake manufacture process and let bromide in it, there was a lot of concern in the hobby.

Dz6t is this what you use?
53adca66b041b9e0b90c9ed42903610d.png

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Dz6t is this what you use?
53adca66b041b9e0b90c9ed42903610d.png

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
that its a decent price compare to what you get at bulk reef supply !
i be getting that in about a year when we run out of the one we buy .
unless i crash my tank before then .
i start it last week i will update how it does

Last edited:
As a side note (dong mentioned above) baking soda does not require the baking step. The baking releases extra CO2 and turns it into sodium carbonate (as opposed to sodium bicarbonate)
Baking soda (NaHCO3) sodium bicarbonate...will have a none to slightly lowering effect on ph for a few hrs on tank when added at once.
Soda ash (Na2Co3) sodium carbonate... will have a significant raising effect on ph and will last for maybe an hour when add at once.

Both can be dry measured and dissolved into a bit of ro water and added to the tank if one prefers.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back