Can anyone recommend bone cutters for fragging?

Hannahhh

Non-member
Can anyone recommend a specific kind of bone cutters I can use to frag zoas? I want to make sure it cuts through the frag plug. Ideally cheap ones I can buy on amazon

I use these + a smaller 4” and 4.5” pair for easier cuts. You will probably need a 6” pair to cut through a frag plug. You can probably find something similar to these for slightly cheaper. I think I paid like $10 for these though it was a couple years back.

I’d suggest three things: 1) get a pair similar to below vs. the spring type which are more prone to rusting. 2) wash well in fresh water and dry after every use or most will rust. 3) Look for a medical grade stainless steel - i doubt any in this price range are true medial grade stainless though better quality ss will be less likely to rust
09403A7B-5FA9-4F24-A198-A8AE232B571C.png

Last edited:
Gah I'm overdue for a new pair too. I bought mine in 2008 and they are so rusty that I have to open and close them under running water for a few minutes before the water runs clear and I can use them in my tank.

I take the spring apart from the cutter and wash with fresh water throughly every time I use especially if I used it under water.

For smaller sized ones I love these:

Off topic but a helpful hint. Every few months I soak my bonecutters overnight in a mix of olive oil and water. Gets them working good as new.

The Boston Aqua Farm ones seem to be of high quality. I have had a pair that I treat very poorly and have not rusted significantly in a good 10 years.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back