Can I put a 30 gallon tank on the second floor?

What is the risk? Is ~350 pounds risky for going through the floor?
Going through the floor is basically never going to happen on a reasonable floor. You wouldnt have that concern if 2 men stood right next to each other weighing more than the tank. The concern is more that it is a static load that can warp something over enough time. Being against a load bearing wall mitigates that as Joker said.

Oh one more thing to consider, the second floor may have some bounce to it when people walk around. This will cause some amount of stress on the tank and floor. Again, mitigated with good placement.

Last edited:
A 30 gallon full tank with water and rock weights about 250 lbs. There is no problem at all.

If placement can't be next to a load bearing wall or any exterior wall for that matter, look for places with a closet or partition wall underneath

What is the risk? Is ~350 pounds risky for going through the floor?
There is no risk at all. I have a 100 gallon on a 2nd floor. I have friends that weigh more than a 30 gallon tank, none of them have fallen through the 2nd floor.

Plus one 2nd floor for a 30g will have no issues unless you try to dive into it.
But on a serious note you’ll be more than fine chief.

Id check with landlord. I dont let any tanks. Too risky. You may have to leave a deposit for rugs or floors.

Back