Can't ever seem to hang it up ;)

jamesdong009

Anthony
My last crash episode was the worst by far since I've been in this hobby. I was away for the holidays when my neighborhood lost power. When power was restored, I checked my webcam and could see that my yellow tang and foxface had perished. One by one, I saw the other fish suffer the same fate. Within a couple of days, the tank was cloudy and I couldn't see anything via the web cam. There's only so much you can do when you're 350 miles away. I stopped checking the camera with despair.

Needless to say, when I came home a week later, the stench of rotten fish and dead corals overwhelmed me when I checked the tank. I've attempted to work on the tank several times, but walk away in disgust.

I find hope and inspiration in restoring my tank with the upcoming meetings and reefing events. There's no purpose in looking back; only what I can do to prevent this from happening again. SLOWLY, I'll be working to get everything back together :)

This hobby is full of disappointment at times, purchased a Long Nose Hawk fish just yesterday and found it on the floor this morning. :mad:

Perhaps there is a new network we could out together with fellow Reefers. I.e. crap like this happens, you know you are going on vacation/business trip and we have some people vetted to go rescue tanks when power outages happen or to do wellness checks.

I know if I had known I would have gladly gone over to help restart the tank. Since you had a webcam you are already one up on others. I am going to Germany in April for a week and would be very upset if something happened while I was out. We need a reef sos squad!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This hobby is full of disappointment at times, purchased a Long Nose Hawk fish just yesterday and found it on the floor this morning. :mad:
Yeah, I've definitely had my fair share of ups and downs but this one eats the cake.

Sorry to hear about your fish Jim. My cat or dog would usually get to them before I could rescue the carpet divers.

Perhaps there is a new network we could out together with fellow Reefers. I.e. crap like this happens, you know you are going on vacation/business trip and we have some people vetted to go rescue tanks when power outages happen or to do wellness checks.

I know if I had known I would have gladly gone over to help restart the tank. Since you had a webcam you are already one up on others. I am going to Germany in April for a week and would be very upset if something happened while I was out. We need a reef sos squad!

Sounds like a great idea!

Anthony, sorry to hear that.
Please drop by and pickup a dozen or two coral, on the house, to get you going again.

Thanks Dong! Fortunately I spread some of my old time pieces around so I'll be making some phone calls when the time is ready.

Oh man sorry to hear this. I had a catastrophe last August. Lost all corals but 2 LPS when my ato stuck on an filled my whole sump with ro. And had a big swing. All you can do is move forward like you said. Sucks to lose things we are passionate about[emoji849]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hang in there Anthony remember FFM, Brs auction and keep on reefing are right around the corner. I am slowly getting back after my crash 2 years ago. I know how you feel.

I lost all mine in the 2010 ice storm...what a miserable experience.

The house was an ice castle for two weeks...my beautiful little fish just frozen in time in my tank.

so sad. if there's anything I can do to help with this...or with the idea of making a reefer SOS, please let me know.

So sorry to hear about your tank. I'll be happy to donate anything I have that you might want.

Leaving the house is always a major concern for me, even when I hire the local kids to feed the fish and animals for me. I would be happy to be part of an emergency network. It seems like a really good idea.

That is lousy news. I swear if you want something to go wrong with your tank just go on vacation and it will happen. I came home from a weekend away a couple weekends ago to gallons of water on my floor cuz a filter sock backed up. Never happened until I was away.

Stick in there and rebuild. Building the tank is some of the funnest part anyway!

Do you have a tank sitter when you're away? I have webcams set up for long weekend trip but for anything more than a week, I usually have my neighbor come to feed the fish and a reefer friend on call just in case something happen.

Anthony,
Sorry to hear that, that is a reefer worst nightmare, I usually have few friends that I can count on for anything when I'm away ,I'm glad you slowly getting on the saddle.
I have plenty of frags that I'm willing to give you .
roger

Do you have a tank sitter when you're away? I have webcams set up for long weekend trip but for anything more than a week, I usually have my neighbor come to feed the fish and a reefer friend on call just in case something happen.
I used to have some folks around me but all have moved on. I'm going away again some time in April or May for two weeks and will definitely have a reefer on call if needed. Hopefully I don't need it ;)

Back