Carbon

What's a good carbon to use in a filter bag in my media basket?
I really like chemipure blue, but that contains gfo and ion exchange resin.

One of the people on here was recently very impressed by a product called aquachar, which left me a bit skeptical. Probably just overpriced carbon. The company claims all sorts of other magic elixir benefits. If their product ISN'T snake oil, they need to find a new marketing team.

One of the people on here was recently very impressed by a product called aquachar, which left me a bit skeptical. Probably just overpriced carbon. The company claims all sorts of other magic elixir benefits. If their product ISN'T snake oil, they need to find a new marketing team.
Any name brand carbon is ok to use. Regarding this product you mentioned, I think it is too good to be true. They also had some issues before. May be it is not snake oil but it may not offer more benefit over traditional carbon.

Any name brand carbon is ok to use. Regarding this product you mentioned, I think it is too good to be true. They also had some issues before. May be it is not snake oil but it may not offer more benefit over traditional carbon.
The feature that stood out to me was their claim of pH elevation. Like you said, seems too good to be true. Some people seem to swear by it though. As they say, most things that seem too good to be true probably are.

From their website, if you simply replace “product brand name” with “activated carbon”, their statement is pretty much true.

The feature that stood out to me was their claim of pH elevation. Like you said, seems too good to be true. Some people seem to swear by it though. As they say, most things that seem too good to be true probably are.
For pH elevation, it is more noticeable in fresh water instead of saltwater. Just like activated carbon,( wait, it is activated carbon), by absorbing organic waste instead of letting it decompose in the water, pH will slightly elevated, due to decomposition of organic waste generally produces acidic materials. Since freshwater has little buffering capacity, a small amount of acid will drop the pH a bit.

From their website, if you simply replace “product brand name” with “activated carbon”, their statement is pretty much true.
I don't know that I've seen carbon elevate pH, but I guess I've never checked.

I used Chemipure Elite for years, and the last time I changed my filter media, I had a mini crash so I'm hesitant to use it again. I think my tank needs have changed, and it worked a little too well.

I'm not sure what a name brand carbon is other than BRS, but I just ordered from them, and now I don't have enough for free shipping again. LOL It's only 65 gallons so I don't think I need to use that much, maybe 1/2 cup. What about Reef Spec by Red Sea or Tidal Matrix Carbon by Seachem? Do I have to worry about the size of the carbon? I watched the BRS video, and it said not to use the pellets, but not to go too fine either.

Currently they are less than $7 for 3 packs of carbon,
Each bag weighs about 1/3 lb, you can use one bag for the 65 every 2 weeks.

I use Bulkreefsupply ROX. Goes on sale pretty often. One container last me years, but I always have it running.

I use brs rox .08 as well but sparingly, sometime I'll run Brightwell Purit.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back