Chasing Alk...

Richard Kagen

Non-member
Looking for feedback here... I am having a hard time keeping Alk consistently up. I am targeting 9.0 I am at 7.6 -7.7 Alk after a 20-25% water change with Reef Crystals and 400 CA. Ph is rock steady at 8.3

My setup: 120 mixed reef (Soft, LPS, SPS, Zoa) SCA display, 55 basement sump. Protein skimmer 7x24, carbon 7x24, phosban 7x24

Dosing:

ALK: 7ml 24 times a day of BRS Soda Ash, raised that to 8ml 24 times a day this AM. (I have had a mixing problem with RODI for months until I got help and started heating the RODI water before mixing, the net resultI was dosing somewhat weak solution. Dosing CA 15ml)

CA: 25ml 8 times a day

RODI: 75ml 24 times a day on two heads so 150ml 24 times a day (I supplement this with an DIY ATO that does maybe another 5 gallons a week. (Open top DT, Open top basement sump with lots of suface area/flow and a low velocity fuge). I draw each RODI dosing head out of its own 5 gallon carboy

I just did a test mix up of Kalkwasswer 1 Tablespoon/5 gallons it is clearing with no precipitation. I plan to leave it for a week and see if it does.

I am thinking of using the 1 TB/5 gallons on one of the RODI dosing heads to maintain levels or maybe even back off a bit on the 2 part. I am concerned without an Apex (not buying one at this point) to shut it down if the PH spikes. Thoughts?

Running kalkwasser should lower your need to dose a little bit. 1 tablespoon per 5 gal seems light to me, could saturate the solution even more with a small pump

Running kalkwasser should lower your need to dose a little bit. 1 tablespoon per 5 gal seems light to me, could saturate the solution even more with a small pump
I know I can go higher, but I am concerned about a stronger solution with 150ml per hour going in if I add KW to only one of the carboys or 300ml per hour if I do both

make sure to keep an eye on Magnesium levels, If Mg is low you'll have a lot of trouble keeping alk/ca levels in check

I would be careful with Kalkwasser. The weather is warming up and evaporation will be a concern. You’ll have to keep close eye on so it doesn’t raise to much

Looking for feedback here... I am having a hard time keeping Alk consistently up. I am targeting 9.0 I am at 7.6 -7.7 Alk after a 20-25% water change with Reef Crystals and 400 CA. Ph is rock steady at 8.3

My setup: 120 mixed reef (Soft, LPS, SPS, Zoa) SCA display, 55 basement sump. Protein skimmer 7x24, carbon 7x24, phosban 7x24

Dosing:

ALK: 7ml 24 times a day of BRS Soda Ash, raised that to 8ml 24 times a day this AM. (I have had a mixing problem with RODI for months until I got help and started heating the RODI water before mixing, the net resultI was dosing somewhat weak solution. Dosing CA 15ml)

CA: 25ml 8 times a day

RODI: 75ml 24 times a day on two heads so 150ml 24 times a day (I supplement this with an DIY ATO that does maybe another 5 gallons a week. (Open top DT, Open top basement sump with lots of suface area/flow and a low velocity fuge). I draw each RODI dosing head out of its own 5 gallon carboy

I just did a test mix up of Kalkwasswer 1 Tablespoon/5 gallons it is clearing with no precipitation. I plan to leave it for a week and see if it does.

I am thinking of using the 1 TB/5 gallons on one of the RODI dosing heads to maintain levels or maybe even back off a bit on the 2 part. I am concerned without an Apex (not buying one at this point) to shut it down if the PH spikes. Thoughts?
What test kit are you using?

Kalkwasser I read that 2tsp per gallon is maximum dose. It’s recommended to start with 1/2 tsp and work your way up. So 5 gallon batch for max dose would be 10 tsp or 3TBS and 1tsp of Kalkwasser. Also you don’t want to dose this till you have alkalinity calcium and magnesium in check. So start there. Have you checked calibrated your doser? You might think your dosing a certain amount but could be off. What parameters are your fresh batch of water? Maybe you need to adjust so you don’t have such a drastic change in parameters. With Kalkwasser your ph will rise

I would be careful with Kalkwasser. The weather is warming up and evaporation will be a concern. You’ll have to keep close eye on so it doesn’t raise to much

Yes that is why I don't want to do KW in the ATO. In my set-up I do fixed "dosing" input of RODI hourly and let the ATO fine tune it from there

I was having the same issue at the beginning of this tank I have now. I realized my magnesium was way to low. If your mag is low you will have a very hard time keeping your alk and cal at a steady levels. Test your mag I bet its low and needs to be raised

Thanks, will check Mg which I have the kit for but have not been testing frequently. Unfortunately my Hanna Alk meter is not working now. Fresh battery and still low light error. Ordered Red Sea Pro as I like the Ca test and the Ca/ALK/Mg pro test set is cheaper than a Ca refill and the Alk.

Will update later this week

Thanks, will check Mg which I have the kit for but have not been testing frequently. Unfortunately my Hanna Alk meter is not working now. Fresh battery and still low light error. Ordered Red Sea Pro as I like the Ca test and the Ca/ALK/Mg pro test set is cheaper than a Ca refill and the Alk.

Will update later this week

If your not to far from Worcester I can test everything for you

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back