Chiller or fans?

Arsalan

____LifeLongLearner____ BRS BoD
Officer
BRS Member
Pretty self explanatory, using a chiller or pointing fans at water surface. Trying to get ready for the summer as I setup my system in the winter. Keeping effectiveness, initial and operating costs in mind, what do you guys recommend?
Anyone try/have both and would definitely go with one over the other in the future?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chiller should be plumbed in a remote room so you don’t create heat around the tank when trying to cool it, unless your a/c can handle it. Fan is going to drive your evaporation up and cool down the tank a bit. Price wise you know already lol

My sump is in the basement which usually stays fairly cool, my DT however can get pretty warm. But I think water for the ATO will be much cheaper than electricity used up by the chiller, not to mention its initial cost.

I’m mainly trying to see if anyone would only go with a chiller and why.

If you have AC in the room with the display tank, you dont need fans nor a chiller.

I cooled 650 gallons using fans , like 3 big fans . but fans . AC's cause too much condensate and fried some lights and almost me . I used a chiller for a while which worked well . but expensive to run . I also tried a dehumidifier , again went to a fan in the window sucking air out the room . When in doubt apply the simplest method

My sump is in the basement which usually stays fairly cool, my DT however can get pretty warm. But I think water for the ATO will be much cheaper than electricity used up by the chiller, not to mention its initial cost.

I’m mainly trying to see if anyone would only go with a chiller and why.

That’s correct portable air conditioner does the job it’s probably cheaper than a Chiller

It depends how much you need to cool, but as others have said, a portable A/C is better if the room is contained rather than open. I am assuming you don't have central A/C.

I don’t have central air, Ideally I’d use the rooms in wall mounted AC but my roommates don’t want to keep the AC running at all times when no one is home, which makes sense. That’s where it becomes my problem of how to keep the tank temp steady. So it’s sounding like I’ll be going with original plans of programming the apex to run the high end computer fans I got from a friend.

Back