Chipped tank

kgstei

CONNECTICUT
We've seen plenty of posts about whether you would risk this or not. Here's my question with a large aquarium, over 200 gallons, can you reinforce the area around the chip by siliconing a strip of 1/2" glass along the Inside vertical edge of the tank? Would you be able to do this while leaving the original silicone seals by over it with glass and new silicone? With this new strip of glass add to the structural Integrity of I know it would be ugly but it could be covered up on the exterior buy wood trim so you wouldn't see it. area? The second photo gives you an idea what it would look like with the wood trim around the edges.

Attachments

• 652818615.jpg
    652818615.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 167
  • 19685-3-8---long-4---rgbHQ7.jpg
    19685-3-8---long-4---rgbHQ7.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:
I think it's all depends on your comfort level. It doesn't seem like it would leak as is since the chip did not go all the way through the glass. Silicone a 2" strip of glass from top to bottom over it and cover it with wood trims would be okay.
Again, if it hold water as is, it'll be okay. If it's already leaking....maybe not worth the risk.

I don't have the Comfort level as is. But I I would imagine that laminating that piece of glass to the interior with silicone would spread the pressure of along the whole strip as opposed to having that weak spot where the chip is.

I'd email the folks from glass cages with these pictures, or mssg them on r2r. They have been super helpful in the past when I have had questions about glass.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back