Cirolanid/aegid HELP!

aresangel

Tim- 2020- Secretary, 2019 BRS President
BRS Member
Hi All,

So the school tank was going well with the 75 stocked with fish, but it seems some of the live rock I got came with some wonderful creatures. However it also came with a non wonderful one.

Today in class a student points out "there is something wrong with that fish". I look at my pinstripe Wrasse and low and behold.... a big freaking bug is munching on it.

I heard these things need months to starve to death. Does anyone have any experience removing these buggy buggers successfully? Should I set up a third tank in my classroom to "quarentine" my fish and eel and wait for these things to die off until the summer? I am at a bit of a loss what to do.

If my 180 was cycled I would move the fish there and leave the 75 fallow for the rest of the semester to ensure their starvation, however I don't think the 180 will be cycled for another 2-3 weeks since I used older rock for die off it will take longer for the cycle to get started and finish.

Another thought was if I could find a 40 breeder or so, I would plumb the 40 breeder to my sump in the 75 so the cycle doesn't start again.... leave the tank with only PVC hides until the 75 is safe.

Suggestions, traps? ideas on what way to move forward are greatly appreciated.

Tim

5609b4475cfef1044a0d201c60622902.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That looks like an isopod which are bad. Unfortunately I do not have much experience with this creature but at least I hope it will help you research a resolution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It is not invert safe, all the shrimps will die.

Relocate shrimp & snails starfish etc...if you have any to your other tank while you treat it. Dong how long should he treat it and should he run carbon after to remove the Interceptor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Is this the dog flea/tick stuff? Do you have a link?

I only have a couple of urchins in the tank. Urchins and fish.

It is a worm killer, not the flea tick stuff.

I will suggest try Flatworm Exit first, follow the instruction on the box and see if that parasite comes off.
Run carbon after the treatment.

Interceptor requires a prescription and Flatworm Exit is available online.
Both are worm medicine just different chemicals.

So I am ordering the flatworm exit. The parasite has all ready fallen off the fish. When I tried to capture the fish to remove it the isopod jumped off. Will flatworm exit kill it in the tank? Or should I just go for the interceptor and see if I can get a prescription?

Yes it will kill off all the invertebrates

Very interested in how this pans out. I've set stinky water traps the past few nights in different places in my display and have yet to catch any bugs. Cleaning a filter sock a few weeks ago I saw "something" but wasn't sure of what it was at the time.

For those reading along I gave Tim some rocks from my TBS package. Suspecting these are where these buggers came from. I've got around 100lbs of the stuff with sand in my 90G tank. It has been fishless since I set it up. Last rock went in 11/20/2017. I've been feeding reef chili for the filter feeders. Stay tuned...

That explains a lot.

Haven’t seen anything on my fish since last Friday. I am going to nuke the tank just to be sure. I don’t have any picky eaters so I will just introduce pods in the future via cheato. I hope your tank is good and not affected. I didn’t get any sweet shrimps like you so each rock has its own critters. Hopefully you dodged the bullet!

I did the flatworm exit treatment. Not sure if it worked because 2 hours after the treatment the small pods were still alive and kicking. Doubt the bit guy succumbed if the little ones survived.

I haven’t seen any new wounds on any of them since that day so not sure if it is normally a bottom feeder that got super hungry/opportunistic feeding or it did die. I will have to try that stinky water trap after break to see if anything comes from it.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back