Citric Acid instead of vinegar for cleaning equipments

dz6t

Acro Garden, BRS Sponsor
BRS Sponsor
BRS Member
It becomes more popular to use citric acid instead of vinegar to clean equipments.
Since citric acid comes in pure form instead of 5% solution as vinegar, it is actually cheaper.
I have been using citric acid for a whie and found it cleans faster than vinegar and it does not smell.
Here is a link to the food grade (over killed but it is only $2.64 per lb) citric acid:

https://www.amazon.com/Milliard-Cit...50793&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=citric+acid&psc=1

This Citric acid from Amazon at $2.64 per lb is as good as you can get in terms of quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for that Dong, I've been using tunze with great results but a little pricey.

And the best part about food grade is that you can then also use to make some great recipes (canning, cocktails)- another name for CA is sour salt; you sometimes see it in Kosher section.

My house is a mini lab. :)

I make my nacho cheese with sodium citrate and sodium hexametaphosphate. More or less like Velveeta but I get to pick the cheese.

Yes. Food grade is great. I just used it to clean my coffee machine, clean the kitchen sink, tea kettle, and add some acidity for cooking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've heard about it, too. I've heard about it, too. My friend told me that when he ordered cleaning, then they saw that he was collecting bottles on the balcony. He asked what to clean them with, and they suggested mixing soda with citric acid. My friend thought that only chemicals would help in this case. When I needed help from the same company, he gave me their number. I turned to them, and I was pleasantly surprised that the cost of cleaning the house also included upholstery cleaning. All the cleaning of my big house took them only three hours. When I started cleaning the house, it took me a whole day!

Last edited:
I did an experiment once leaving one of these suction cups in vinegar and one in citric acid. Been using citric acid ever since. Did learn that you have to mix up only what you need as citric acid solution gets moldy after a few days.

Edit: Oops I misremembered. These were both left in vinegar but one came out unscathed and the other was destroyed.
citricVSvinegar.jpg

Last edited:
Thats funny you posted this - I just ordered some. Plan on cleaning my return pump tomorrow morning.

I did an experiment once leaving one of these suction cups in vinegar and one in citric acid. Been using citric acid ever since. Did learn that you have to mix up only what you need as citric acid solution gets moldy after a few days.

Edit: Oops I misremembered. These were both left in vinegar but one came out unscathed and the other was destroyed.
View attachment 161989
This happened to me before. Now I just use citric acid. Much easier & faster results. Thank you for the input and recommendation as always Dong.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back