Clam and Bysis

Clams will lose threads from time to time, but shouldn't lose the byssal gland / or the use of it, until they are a sizeable specimen. They do so only when they no longer have to depend on it to bore/adhere to substrate. At that time, their sheer weight keeps them in place.

Yes... what David said.

However... if the clam was unceremonioulsy ripped from the rock or subtrate it was attached to... it could indeed be damaged at the source of those threads, which is the byssal gland. If the clam seems open and happy right now... after having dropped the muscular threads, it will most likely grow new ones, bore into some other base and live happily ever after.

b

yeah byssal thats it... it was the threads and a whole white glob atthe top .. the clam looks fine to me .. open and happy

Well keep an eye on it, and keep it still if possible. The threads are no problem. The white glob at the top isn't the best... but it could all still be just fine.

If it's open and looking happy, that's the best indicator... in my opinion.

b

when i got it the other day i didnt recall seeing that i had one ... its about a 4"? squa .. i fig'd eh maybe it dropped it sometime b4 idk .. doesnt seem to be in any stress... idk i'll keep an eye on it..

Squamosa are typically kept in the sand bed because of their low light demands. With that said, and the fact that they have one of the widest byssal ports in a tridacna clam, they should be protected. Place a small flat rock or clam shell under the clam. This protects the "soft spot" of the clam from worms and other critters that would otherwise use that spot as a port of entry. If you put yours back on a solid substrate (either the rock or shell), it should quickly emit byssal fluids and eventually they will harden to threads.

What you may have seen is the byssal fluids before they actually hardened to create the threads. Sometimes, it mixes with sand, or other small particles of substrate and look like a slimey glob if they are not on a hard surface.

Do you have something under your squamosa? If not, you should try it. Not only will you help it by protecting the byssal port, but you will probably make the shellfish happier if, in fact, it is attempting to adhere to something.

Dave

On this subject is there a good way to remove a clam from the rocks without doing too much damage? I've got a teardrop that I really want to move but have been afraid to.

Rob,

Removing from rocks is tricky. Unless it is a real flat surface, using a blade can cause damage to the byssal port. I've removed them from clamshells and tile easily using this method.

Just last week, I needed to separate my ultra crocea from some shrooms that were crawling too close to it. I didn't want to damage the hairy shrooms either. I was forced to break the rock between the two. When that happened, the rock crumbled leaving just a few nuggets attached to the byssal threads. The clam eventually aborted these threads and I put it back on another slab of LR at that time.

Is it possible to break the rock close to the clam? Just a thought.

FYI. I've hear of others "tilting" the rock to entice the clam to leave the rock. They do NOT like being stood up such that their gills etc. are forced downward by gravity. They will "loosen up on the rock" or move to adjust to the tilt. At that time, they may leave a sizeable gap between the port and the rock. You CAN cut the threads without too much problem. The problem really is when you hit the fleshy part of the port, or the gland itself.

Dave

Last edited:
Rob, how firmly attached is the clam ?

Can you lift it up enough to get to/see the byssal threads between the clam and
the rock it's attached to ?

If it's firmly attached, you can try to *gently* lift the clam up off the rock enough
to get a razor in there to cut the threads. Key word is gently - you do not want to
pry it up and stress out the clam. If there's no way to get to the threads, I wouldn't
risk injury to the clam and leave it where it's happy.

Not really in a place where I can get at it. Its getting kind of cramped which is why I want to move it. It's circled in the picture I attached.

Attachments

• Rmaximalocation.jpg
    Rmaximalocation.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 204
Downright purdy tank there Rob.

I can see you problem now. You would end up damaging that cap or the anacropora (I think that's what it is) close by. I don't know bud... you may be SOL unless you can get that rock to an area you can work in.

Dave

I wanted to get it out of the way of the Cap. but I guess it'lll have to wait. More incentive to get that damn 365g up. (yes i know i've been saying that for over a year, one of these days though . . .)

Thanks for the compliment David. It's come a long way.

Is breaking a section off of the Montipora an option ?
It looks like the only option for moving the clam.

I think even if I broke the monti I still wouldnt be able to get to the base of the clam without moving other rocks and breaking other stuff. I was hoping someone would say "just go ahead an pull it out of there." I knew better but thought I'd ask anyway. The clam doesnt look like much from the side but from the top . . . its just too cool to risk.

Yes it is David. It started from a small frag and when it hit the side of the box it started growing up on it. It didnt attach itself too firmly and came loose when I was trying to remove my dying green slimer. I've seen plenty of other SPS attached to things like that though. There was a guy in the Orlando club that had a giant pocillopora growing on his overflow. Grew right around the corner of it too. :)

My original pocillopora suffered from polyp bail out when my green monti cap grew over, and therefore shaded it. I have the crap growing all over my tank. Most comical and notable is the ones covering my powerheads.

Nice overflow box camoflague!! I'm definately going to try that now. When I see ya next, can you gimme a small frag of the orange?

David

Back