WTB Clam

dz6t

Acro Garden, BRS Sponsor
BRS Member
Clams are easy to keep as long as you don’t have a fish or a bunch of fish that love clam meat. Even a reef safe fish may not be (key word: may) safe for a small clam.

Keep a small clam in a separate area that is not accessible by fish as by just bumping into the clam can cause stress.

For big ones that over 3 to 4 inch, they can take care of themselves.

Clam can remove significant amounts of nitrate and phosphate and my big squamosa is a bio filter itself.

Petco so far has the lowest retail price in general for clams that you can see before you buy. It is very important to see the clam before you buy it. Do not mail order it, even from some very reputable online stores. A clam that carries bugs can wipe out your clam collection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jsak1976

BRS Member
one last thing, why isn't everyone in the world dosing phyto if it eliminates nuisance algae's?
Never said it would eliminate, I don’t use phyto to keep algae under control, I use it for its benifits as food for my corals and pods. Why would you feed corals reef roids and all these other dead food that do raise phosphates and nitrates when you could be feeding live phyto that has benifits?

dz6t

Acro Garden, BRS Sponsor
BRS Member
3:25
do you dose that much to feed your tanks?
Actually that is not a lot.
Think about phyto as a clean live food.
You can pour a lot into your tank and it will get consumed quickly, despite not directly by coral. Phyto feeds a lot of micro creatures that spawn and produce live meaty food for coral.

jsak1976

BRS Member
You can pour a lot into your tank and it will get consumed quickly, despite not directly by coral. Phyto feeds a lot of micro creatures that spawn and produce live meaty food for coral.

Why can’t I post videos? I have I cool video of me lifting up a frag disc and you can see all the bugs scatter!

Aquatic Nerd

(Formerly SeventyTimes7) Yung Jacques Cousteu
BRS Member
Officer
Clams are easy to keep as long as you don’t have a fish or a bunch of fish that love clam meat. Even a reef safe fish may not be (key word: may) safe for a small clam.

Keep a small clam in a separate area that is not accessible by fish as by just bumping into the clam can cause stress.

For big ones that over 3 to 4 inch, they can take care of themselves.

Clam can remove significant amounts of nitrate and phosphate and my big squamosa is a bio filter itself.

Petco so far has the lowest retail price in general for clams that you can see before you buy. It is very important to see the clam before you buy it. Do not mail order it, even from some very reputable online stores. A clam that carries bugs can wipe out your clam collection.

+1 definitely see the clam in person.
Pyramid snails are one clam predator to really watch out for. As well as polyclad flatworms.
Check for reaction to shadow, usually a healthy specimen will react fast. However, if they are used to a lot of movement over them they may not react.

Edit: I keep looking at pyramid as if I spelled it wrong. Lol

jsak1976

BRS Member
Lol I feed my tanks much more, that phyto was a brown phyto or a mixture, my culture has 3 live green phytoplankton, been thinking of adding a brown to try for its omega 3’s

Chris A.

Formally toomanyfish
BRS Member
Officer

That’s not live phyto that he’s feeding

jsak1976

BRS Member
one last thing, why isn't everyone in the world dosing phyto if it eliminates nuisance algae's?
Come up and see me and I’ll give you enough live phyto for a month, guarantee you’ll notice a positive difference in your tank if you start dosing a small amount every day.

dz6t

Acro Garden, BRS Sponsor
BRS Member

You can use frozen phyto and it still alive.

dz6t

Acro Garden, BRS Sponsor
BRS Member
By the way I will have clams in next week and usually they sell very quickly.

jsak1976

BRS Member

You can use frozen phyto and it still alive.

Mmmm I don’t believe that’s true, I think there is one or two types of phyto that can survive but I think most is killed by freezing.

jsak1976

BRS Member
Another thing that you have to worry about when using live phytoplankton is the polyp extension be careful.

jsak1976

BRS Member

How do you know that’s not live phyto?

Chris A.

Formally toomanyfish
BRS Member
Officer
From what I’ve seen all phyto comes in frozen cultures but I’ve personally never bought it.
Most people don’t know it’s benefits and it also has to be live not that crap your going to see in stores, phytofeast.

so if you actually listen to the guy that breeds clams for a living in the video it’s store bought phytoplankton. Your quote above says otherwise to the “live” about store bought phytoplankton. You tell me ???

jsak1976

BRS Member
From what I’ve seen all phyto comes in frozen cultures but I’ve personally never bought it.
Most people don’t know it’s benefits and it also has to be live not that crap your going to see in stores, phytofeast.

so if you actually listen to the guy that breeds clams for a living in the video it’s store bought phytoplankton. Your quote above says otherwise to the “live” about store bought phytoplankton. You tell me ???
My cultures I purchased were not frozen and specifically said do not freeze. And your video didn’t have sound so that’s why I was asking. Most stores don’t actually sell live phyto, a couple stores do carry actual live phyto like from algae barn or algenon or something. If it’s actually live phyto it will be in a fridge. If it’s sitting on the shelf in not live and even the live phytofeast I don’t believe is actually 100% live.

Upcoming Events

Sunday September 22, 2019
Fragtastic Show
12 to 4 pm
Leominster Eagles
456 Litchfield Street
Leominster, MA

Sponsors

Mofo Corals
Acro Garden
Frag Freaks