WTB Clam

Tvpham93

BRS Member
I got a 1.5" derasa one from petco, its still happy and healthy. I fed it reefroids the first couple months I've had it.

Sparky88

BRS Member
one last thing, why isn't everyone in the world dosing phyto if it eliminates nuisance algae's?
Saying it prevents algea is not the same as not causing an outbreak. Using phyto to control algea is just trying to scew the argument. The point of jsaks post was that it is not a cause. You kinda took it to the extreme with it preventing a problem. Then again this is the internet so..... Jsak send this man a bottle so his sps can look better than ever....

Sparky88

BRS Member
For reference I got a 6" clam from a sponsor. 125 off a tank break down. There was some profit in there for the seller to. Probably pretty rare to see one in a tank breakdown tho

Aquatic Nerd

(Formerly SeventyTimes7) Yung Jacques Cousteu
BRS Member
Officer
My cultures I purchased were not frozen and specifically said do not freeze. And your video didn’t have sound so that’s why I was asking. Most stores don’t actually sell live phyto, a couple stores do carry actual live phyto like from algae barn or algenon or something. If it’s actually live phyto it will be in a fridge. If it’s sitting on the shelf in not live and even the live phytofeast I don’t believe is actually 100% live.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The stuff in the fridge could be live.
Fridge stored phyto slows down. I shouldve stored some in my fridge for when my culture crashed.
I had Fritz phyto I won in May. It sat in my fridge, shook it up every few days. I let it get to tank temp, and looked at it through my microscope and they were still alive.
Just slow when straight out of the fridge.

jsak1976

Granite State Aquatics
BRS Member
My cultures I purchased were not frozen and specifically said do not freeze. And your video didn’t have sound so that’s why I was asking. Most stores don’t actually sell live phyto, a couple stores do carry actual live phyto like from algae barn or algenon or something. If it’s actually live phyto it will be in a fridge. If it’s sitting on the shelf in not live and even the live phytofeast I don’t believe is actually 100% live.

Fridge stored phyto slows down. I shouldve stored some in my fridge for when my culture crashed.
I had Fritz phyto I won in May. It sat in my fridge, shook it up every few days. I let it get to tank temp, and looked at it through my microscope and they were still alive.
Yes live phyto after it is harvested should be kept refrigerated and it will last a couple months if you invert the bottle and open the bottle about once a week to allow gas exchange. A lot of LFS’s sell bottles of phytoplankton (not live) sitting on store shelves, some LFS do carry actual live phytoplankton and keep it refrigerated. And from what I looked up again last night is you can freeze some live phytoplanktons to store it for a longer period of time but it does kill off a lot of the live cells but enough will survive to restart a culture, this is not true for some types of brown phytoplanktons.

jsak1976

Granite State Aquatics
BRS Member

And not all phytoplanktons you’ll see moving under a microscope only certain species of phyto move so even if you don’t see them moving doesn’t necessarily mean they are dead.

jsak1976

Granite State Aquatics
BRS Member
How much? sorry my post was a little raided
Screw clams lets streight up get into brawl over phyto.... Did you see that polyp detention tho????mic drop....back to clams?
Lol, I’m not upset at all. I’ve heard this misconception over and over and just trying to set the record straight. Live phytoplankton is good!!! Kind of makes sense there’s a ton of it in the ocean feeding everything from a tiny tiger pods to huge whales!

Sparky88

BRS Member
Lol, I’m not upset at all. I’ve heard this misconception over and over and just trying to set the record straight. Live phytoplankton is good!!! Kind of makes sense there’s a ton of it in the ocean feeding everything from a tiny tiger pods to huge whales!

Im on your side bro. This is funny as he'll and informative. Crazy ppl spend tons of money on stuff and overlook what a culture can do for you.

dz6t

Acro Garden, BRS Sponsor
BRS Member
For reference I got a 6" clam from a sponsor. 125 off a tank break down. There was some profit in there for the seller to. Probably pretty rare to see one in a tank breakdown tho
That is a great deal, less than wholesale cost for a six inch blue maxima. Plus it was living in captive for a while. I think you should thank Frank to give you such a deal. Happy reefing.

Sparky88

BRS Member
I suspected it was good deal glad to get back up. Franks been pretty fair to me. Ive bought a few iteams.

dz6t

Acro Garden, BRS Sponsor
BRS Member
Go to Petco in Nashua first to check out if they have Deressa clams. They are nice size and easy to keep, good for your first clam.
The store in the Nashua peasant lane mall area.
I am going to have all maxima clam coming in, they are harder to keep.

ileas

BRS Member
Go to Petco in Nashua first to check out if they have Deressa clams. They are nice size and easy to keep, good for your first clam.
The store in the Nashua peasant lane mall area.
I am going to have all maxima clam coming in, they are harder to keep.

Oh i thought they were similar in dificulty but ok i will call ahead of time as ive been there numerous times and yet to see a clam

Tvpham93

BRS Member
They occasionally do, the store was a lot better back in the day when they had another guy running the fish section. Nashua, Salem, and Newington petcos are the best in nh. They have frag tanks for corals/clams. Manchester is a hit or miss

Upcoming Events

Sunday December 29, 2019
December Meeting
12 to 4 pm
Framingham Elks
450 Union Ave
Framingham, MA 01702