Clarisea SK-5000 holy crap that's a lot of parts

mvallee

Non-member
Time to add some form of mechanical filtration to my tank and decided on the Clarisea SK-5000.

For that kind of money you would think it would come all assembled and ready to go right? NOPE, look at all those parts and 50 steps of instructions.
Wish me luck!

IMG_20200208_114218.jpg

IMG_20200208_114048.jpg

well the assembly was not terrible, a little tedious but they have a good assembly video on their website. The install and plumbing will be the next step and that is going to stink.
I have to move my skimmer into the refugium section, cutting back on the fuge space, a glass panels will need to be removed to get the plumbing to where this will be sitting and then the fun part of plumbing it in, not my strong suit, especially with RedSea's non standard plumbing fittings :(
Probably going to tackle the actual install tomorrow
IMG_20200208_134042.jpg

Still have not gotten this plumbed in, the non standard RedSea reefer plumbing has me stumped and after spending an hour in Lowes I think I might have figured out how to get the 32mm down pipe connected to the 1" plumbing of the clarisea.
This is a 1" to 1" coupler but it tightens down on the 32mm plumbing very well so I could cut the downpipe way back and place this above the water line. then coming out would be a piece of 1" PVC that I could do with as I need.
Anyone use these in their SW reef tanks, thoughts concerns?
My concern is the impact saltwater would have on the rubber inside and if it would breakdown over time causing issues in the tank. Although it would be out of the water, it would be very close and when I turn off the return pump the sump would fill to about halfway up this coupler.

I do like the idea of this because it would make a union that I can disconnect as needed to clean unit and change out paper.

IMG_20200213_101253.jpg

IMG_20200213_101303.jpg

After some rearranging in the sump and removal of a baffle I have it mounted and plumbed in.
It is bigger than I thought and the only way I could make it work was hanging it on the front but it works.
I did use the union pictured above but will probably redo it with the adapters @BiGGiePauls33 mentioned above.

Here are a few pics. Putting pics of your sump up feels a bit like airing your dirty laundry but we all have them ;)

Plumbing pic
IMG_20200215_123944.jpg

Probably going to have to move the skimmer over a bit and not too sure I like it in the refugium part of the sump, might need to create a glass partition for it, we'll see if the snails and Bristle worms stay out.

IMG_20200215_124430.jpg

Other than the amount of assembly this feels like a good piece of kit, motor is very heavy, aesthetically pleasing and a seemingly well thought out design, we'll see how often I have to change out rolls before I get too excited but way better than nothing which is what I had as I took the sock section out a long time ago and way better than washing socks.
You know what they say about sometimes it's just the simple things, well this one thing, orienting the plug transformer so it plugs in side by side into my DJ switch with everything else made my day. I hate those sideways plugs so much.

IMG_20200215_124559.jpg

From here time will tell if the expense and work was worth it but so far I am pleased.

time to crack a beer and do a water change now :p

Quick video, I did my normal water change and stirred the sand bed up a bit to see how this piece of equipment would work. It is pretty neat how it works, Raw water comes in the middle of the unit and as the filter media gets dirty the level rises setting off a float switch to advance the paper, as you can see it advances about a 1/4" every time. when the tank was real murky it was going off every 20 seconds, now an hour later every 90 seconds or so and the tank is clearing nicely.

When I first switched everything on after the water change
IMG_20200215_151117.jpg

50 minutes later
IMG_20200215_160227.jpg

and here is the video of it working

Hows the smell? Seams like it would smell like low tide all the time. I love the concept though.
haven't noticed anything yet, only been a couple hours though but I could see where it might. Probably no worse than skimmer but we'll see
after almost a week I have not noticed any offensive smells, the material is like a nylon and dries almost as soon as it rolls up and out of the water. The first day when I really stirred up the substrate there was a slight smell like when you first open the skimmer but since then nothing.

One more observation
I marked the filter material with a marker just as it came off the spool and measured how long it took to get to the take-up roll which is about 24" of travel. This took 27 hours. I only did it the one time so not sure it would be like that everyday but I don't see why not.

So with that, each new $34 roll being 137 feet long should last 76 days. not bad for not having to deal with socks :p

Quick update, 6 weeks in and still on my first roll of filter material. Much better than I was expecting and the roll that came with it is not as big as the one you purchase separately. I expect to get 2 months from a replacement roll which would make it about $17 a month to not have to deal with filter socks, good deal!
I find the water to be clearer as I was running sockless before and no detritus buildup in the sump plus front glass on DT is much cleaner for longer.

Back