Free Classroom Reef Tank Project

Zach0918

Non-member
I hope I am not breaking a rule by posting a wanted ad in this section if so please.

I am a high school biology teacher that was receny introduced to the world of feeding. I thought it would be somethinh awesome to share with my students as we already have a few class pets (bearded dragon, Leo gecko) that they adore. Of course it doesn’t take long to see this is not a cheap hobby. So I figured it couldn’t hurt to reach out to the community and see if anyone has anything reef related that they don’t want anymore to help with the project. At this point I am pretty open to anything, equipment, rock, sand , salt. Once I have the tank going I would be interested in livestock but that is a ways away. I would also be interested in purchasing things of course but I do have a limited budget. Feel free to reply or pm me if you have anything you’d like to get rid of, thanks!

I wish I got into this stuff when I was in high school instead of other stuff.. I’d love to contribute. I’ll see what I have kicking around that I can spare to help you get setup.
Where/what school is it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also how big of a system are you looking to setup? It’ll help to know if you’re aiming for like a reef ready 75g tank or a 20g or something.

The summer situation will be something that will depend on tank size. If it’s small I could break it down and move it home for the summer. I also only live 10 min from the school so me stopping by to care for them is another option.

As far as size I was thinking smaller rather then larger just because of equipment costs. I have bought and RODI system so water isn’t an issue but lighting and other equipment costs are too much in a large tank for my limited budget. I do have to find this out of pocket.

Speaking from experience... I ran a 25 gallon all in one reef at AMSA where I taught and broke it down over the summer. I also got a grant for Hopedale high (both in ma).

The grant route is the way to go! And train 2-3 students to care for feedings over the summer then you only need to go in once a week to check water parameters/water top offs etc.

Call Hopedale Jr/Sr high and ask if they are still looking to get rid of their 180 reef tank they have in the library.

Otherwise keep us updated on progress. I found 75 gallons was a nice size and much more manageable over breaks and vacations because the water volume helps stabilize the parameters and salinity over the long weekends and one week breaks.

There is a 55 gallon tank for free in the forums with a stand. Free is how I got the 75 gallon tank running at Hopedale (still kept one running).

Once it is up and running people are normally very happy to donate. Reach out to Scott at OSA about a donation too. With them right around the corner that is something they may want to help set up so it brings future customers in for them.

As for me, I just moved to a new school in Acton-Boxborough and will probably find time in the day to start a reef tank there next year!

Good luck and keep us updated.

We are actually going to be going on a field trip to OSA; meeting Scott is actually what gave me this idea.

Where did you get a grant from? I’ve never written a grant but I would be open to it. I’m just trying to accelerate the progress so we could try to do something this year with OSA. It would be amazing to get a grant and go all out with something. I definitely wouldn’t get anything bigger then 55 though. Even that scares me a bit. Thanks for your insight.

Ask your school for grants when they come up. Ours was a black stone valley educational foundation.

Mathworks often has grants or you can try a school doner’s choose page for fundraising/donations.

That way you can solicit your community specifically.

Our Grant was for 3,000 but that is atypical. Most grants are 200-500 with caps around 1000. But that in itself will get equipment going and then apply the following year for coral when everything is stabilized and running.

What are everyone’s thoughts on the Biocube 32 or posiibly an Innovative Marine AIO for this project? Thanks

Shameless bump, a lot of negativity in this section, I understand the frustration as it has has interfered with my efforts multiple times. However all I can ask it you consider the home your used goods are going to, I think some causes are better then others.

So I was able to get a Biocube (donation from someone not on the forum, I bought an RO/DO system, other then that just about anything. I’d say my current bug needs are live rock and sand. I need salt but I’m assuming I’ll have to buy that unless I find someone getting out of the hobby. Thanks for asking.

Here’s a link to my build threas, need to post the RO/DI later.

http://bostonreefers.org/forums/ind...hool-classroom-nano-reef.162777/#post-1372161

Get the bio cube up and running and start the cycle . I can give u some live rock when I are ready . Ill look for some power heads for u just have to find them

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back