Cleaner fish

Sm1t7y

Non-member
So I think I need a great cleaner fish for corals and fish. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why do you say you "need" a great cleaner? They are not typically considered effective for parasite control if that is the reason.

Why do you say you "need" a great cleaner? They are not typically considered effective for parasite control if that is the reason.

I’m loosing softies and zoas. Water is good. It’s the only thing I can think of

Sounds like you have a un-diagnosed problem. I don't know of any cleaner that will fix that. Essentially cleaner shrimp and cleaner fish pick at lose or damaged skin/tissue, but they do little about fish parasites and as far as I know they do nothing about possible coral predators.

Could you elaborate on your losses, and also your system and parameters. What "softies" have you been losing, and what do those losses look like?

In terms of losing softies / zoas, you could have zoa eating nudi's, but they wouldn't be likely to affect other corals.

*BTW, did you mean to post this in the photography forum? If not, I can move it to the "reef talk" forum for you. LMK

I’m having a tough time growing hammers frogspawn and torches. They keep dying. All my parameters a good Alk calcium phosphate magnesium. I can’t seem to figure out what’s going on. And I didn’t mean to post in photos.

OK, (those would be considered LPS not "softies")

When you say your parameters are good, how are you maintaining them, what ranges, and how stable? Those LPS could also be killing each other, all of them are known to be pretty aggressive.

I don't have a lot of LPS experience, but I see no reason to think that any sort of cleaner creature would help with whatever problem you are having. I would look instability in parameters (like correcting levels weekly vs daily dosing), and physical aggression first. (watch at night via flashlight to look for any sweeper tentacles attacking between the LPS corals)

What kind of lighting do you use, lps can be zapped by strong light.

OK, (those would be considered LPS not "softies")

When you say your parameters are good, how are you maintaining them, what ranges, and how stable? Those LPS could also be killing each other, all of them are known to be pretty aggressive.

I don't have a lot of LPS experience, but I see no reason to think that any sort of cleaner creature would help with whatever problem you are having. I would look instability in parameters (like correcting levels weekly vs daily dosing), and physical aggression first. (watch at night via flashlight to look for any sweeper tentacles attacking between the LPS corals)

Ok so I run 6 ATI t5. For 8 house a day only at full power for 2 hours. I dose so I keep kh around 10.5 daily cal at 461 and mag at 1240. Last I checked phosphate was at 0.10. Salinanity at 1.024. And I feed corals reef roofs twice a week.

What size is the tank? What type of t5 bulb combos?

Could the current be too strong for them? I’m far from an expert by the way and you have some experienced people helping so... I could totally be off base.

So I think I need a great cleaner fish for corals and fish. Any suggestions?

Yellow tangs and purple they are constantly cleaning corals just trying to help. And you can get a cleaner shrimp to clean fish for parasites

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back