Cleaner shrimp twitching

LaxFrags

Hey everyone, I just noticed my cleaner shrimp sitting in one area for the most part and twitching ever once in a while. I know I have ammonia in my tank which is bad, I have been doing tons of WC over the past week, as well as using am guard and seachem stability. My cleaner shrimp hasn’t had a problem with the ammonia for a while, and neither has my fish. Then today my shrimp was going all around the tank in quick bursts with its tail. Now it is sitting on my rock work twitching it’s head once every while, and when I went to touch it or see if it would start clearing my arm like it usually does it just let me touch it. Is it dying? It looks like it is still scraping stuff off my rock. Please help, my cleaner shrimp is one of my favorite critters in my tank! (Every-once in a while it’ll still move) I found it’s molt a couple days ago so I don’t think it’s that. I just started dosing those two chemicals, could it be reacting to that? Thanks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 320
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 321
How old is your tank? And what’s the ammonia level? If there’s measurable ammonia you either have a ton of die-off, or the tank isn’t cycled. Is it a new tank? Did you add a lot of new rock recently? Or a dead fish, or a huge amount of uneaten food. Need to wait for the cycle to complete. You can manage very high ammonia with WC to avoid killing your animals, but mostly just need to wait for bacteria to grow adequately.

shrimp looks ok, but hard to to tell from still photos. They are kind of jerky in their movements, especially when startled.

How old is your tank? And what’s the ammonia level? If there’s measurable ammonia you either have a ton of die-off, or the tank isn’t cycled. Is it a new tank? Did you add a lot of new rock recently? Or a dead fish, or a huge amount of uneaten food. Need to wait for the cycle to complete. You can manage very high ammonia with WC to avoid killing your animals, but mostly just need to wait for bacteria to grow adequately.

shrimp looks ok, but hard to to tell from still photos. They are kind of jerky in their movements, especially when startled.
Tank is 6 months old, recently a coral died that I left in my tank that I think caused the ammonia spike up to .50ppm, moved all coral to 72g, too out dry rock and put on some live rock in hope of adding better established filter, now the tank is staying at .10-.25 ppm

I would have to echo current Mr. President's advice as I approve his message as a former club president as well. I've been seeing a lot of posts from yourself that are similar to this and I think you've rushed your tank a little bit too fast as well and need to slow down. Your tank shouldn't have any noticeable amount of ammonia even at 6 months if you didn't rush it. It sounds like you've started a re-cycle by moving all the coral to a new tank with dry rock and disturbing everything.

I know it sucks waiting but that's really the only proper way to do it so you don't stress out and kill your tank inhabitants.

I completely agree! When I started out I didn’t cycle all the way and all downhill from there. I’m going to start taking it slower, sorry for all the postings about my tank problems!

No need to apologize we've all been there. My first SW tank was a 20 long when I was about your age or even younger with crushed coral, a HOB filter and and undergravel filter with zero knowledge about cycling as I don't even think the internet was really around at that time (man I feel old).

No need to apologize we've all been there. My first SW tank was a 20 long when I was about your age or even younger with crushed coral, a HOB filter and and undergravel filter with zero knowledge about cycling as I don't even think the internet was really around at that time (man I feel old).
Haha thanks! Happy reefing everyone

:(
Not doing so well. I’m preparing for the worst but really hoping jaquese survives (typical name for cleaner shrimp)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 317
:(
Not doing so well. I’m preparing for the worst but really hoping jaquese survives (typical name for cleaner shrimp)
Unfortunately my cleaner just died. I have no idea why, today I checked my params and everything was perfect, ammonia an all around 0. My fish are doing good, but they’re looking for their shrimp. :confused: I’m just gonna take it slow and not add anything for a little while. Thanks for the help everyone

Back