cleaning metal halide bulbs

JBendel

BRS Member
While working on my lights last night I splashed some salt water on the bulb. I can't remember if glass cleaner is O.K. or one has to do anything more elaborate. Anyone remember?

Thank you,

J.B.

denatured alcohol, try not to touch the bulb with your bare hand, when installign use paper towel with denatured alcohol so when bulb is in place and you cant get to where the finger prints are on the bulb you dont have to take the bulb out again and again to get the finger prints off
Duds

I usually just use water. If there are calcium deposits a paper towel with a little acid will remove them.

isn't there some concern with getting oil from our skin on DE bulbs? Something like with car headlight bulbs?

Is that where the alcohol suggestion comes from?

I've cleaned mine a couple times. I use a vinegar solution, and just like the other posters mention, use paper towels at all times to avoid touching the bulb with my fingers.

I've recently put plexi between the water and bulb to avoid splash damage. I know this restricts the light, but the thought of splash on the bulbs was worrying me.

I also just added some 4.5" fans blowing the length of the bulbs. This helps a lot with heat and also keeps moisture away

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back