Cleaning peppermint shrimp

NanoReefer

25g Waterbox
Will peppermint shrimp clean fish and snails for parasites. My pep will "clean" my lawnmower blenny for a few seconds then move off.

TIA
Steve

OH MY GOD! He is trying to eat him!!! Oh sorry I thought I was funny for a second :)
I have no idea but would be interested to know as well

My peppermint just molted. Nothing in the tank seemed interested in eating his "shell" so I chucked it. It was pretty cool though,an exact replica of the fella... so as far as peppermint cleaners are concerned, that is me I guess :)

Piscevore said:
My peppermint just molted. Nothing in the tank seemed interested in eating his "shell" so I chucked it. It was pretty cool though,an exact replica of the fella... so as far as peppermint cleaners are concerned, that is me I guess :)
:confused:

He was cleaning my finger the other day. Would a peppermint shrimp be as effective as a cleaner shrimp? I am guessing no (I sure it's named "cleaner shrimp" for a reason! ;) )

Piscevore - I usually leave the molt in because hermits and shrimp and lobsters (I have all 3) will consume it reuse the material for the next shell (for lack of a better term, or not!) and may provide distraction for predators while the new shell hardens. I will leave that to someone with more experience!!!

Steve

Last edited:
Are peppermint shrimp harmful to other anemones? I have a lot of aptasia that I've been trying to get rid of with lemon juice. But there are so many, I'm falling behind. I want a peppermint shrimp, but my LFS told me they might eat/harm other anemones or corals. I have an RBTA.

Thanks

According to Calfo & Fenner Natural Marine Aquarium Volume I - Reef Invertebrates (pages 265-268) the true peppermint (Lysmata wurdemmani) is a Caribbean cleaner shrimp, but not the most productive cleaner. Yup, they will consume Aiptasia, and maybe they'll attack LPS corals, mushrooms, and zoanthids. The authors advise you watch them, but don't confuse their jumping onto corals at feeding time as a sign they're attacking the coral.

Thanks for the info. Now I guess I'll have to weigh the pros and the cons - possibly get rid of aptasia vs possible harm to mushrooms. I never realized how many trade-offs would be involved in this hobby! When I first started, I wanted a puffer and a trigger until I found out they aren't reef safe. I still WANT them, I just can't HAVE them.

FWIW: the only thing besides Aiptasia that I've seen peppermints eat were zoanthids - especially yellow polyps.
I've never seen them attack mushrooms. Had I known they would control mushrooms I woulda had a lot of peppermints in my 55. I don't think you should worry.
If anyone has a contrasting experience by all means please post.

Well I don't have any zoanthids, so it looks like I'm going to have a few new peppermint shrimp! The aptasia have to go! Thanks for the info.

I have no evidence to support it, but I believe my peppermints have been eating my yellow polyps. I really don't care too much, but I have noticed them disappearing. However no other zoos or corals seem to be dissapearing.

I have yellow polyps, zoa's and shrooms, my peppermint doesn't touch any of them. I guess I got lucky. :D I also don't have Aptasia either! OTOH I have noticed that some of my xenia has a sharp kink in the thin stalk just below the head, would the peppermint be suspect in that or my coral banded shrimp?

Back