Co2 Scrubber

I had a couple co2 scrubbers setup for a few months. They raised pH and there was increased Alk consumption, but they went through media quickly. When the media was depleted I wouldn’t know until the tank Alk spiked unless I was paying attention to the pH levels. The color changing media isn’t reliable. I didn’t try recirculating the air through the skimmer myself, but I recommend trying that if you’re thinking about using a co2 scrubber. I also recommend having a way to see Alk daily like a Trident or KH Director. A pH probe works but I don’t pay much attention to the pH reading.

Got a full tub of the media here......tried it once and it worked well, you just need gotta find a way to do recirc on the skimmer air. I don’t plan to use it going forward though

We debated getting a CO2 scrubber but wound up using an air pump to push fresh air to the tank. We have 1 pump driving air around 25-30 feet to the skimmer and a SECOND pump to create a blanket of fresh air on top of the tank. Each one is 300 gallons per hour.

We use the garage as our "fresh air" sourcs because a CO2 meter told us that the basement wasn't an option. I would have thought a 50+ yr old house would be leakier but I was surprised.

If you have a source of "sorta fresh" air where you can situate a Whisper AP300 air pump, it might be worth looking at as an alternative to a CO2 scrubber if you haven't tried it. We only have an 80 gallon tank so I can't say how well it would work for a really nice (large) tank.

No source of fresh air during colder months. Elderly Father so he's always cold. It's like 75 in here.

I was going to go with a co2 scrubber but I tried something else before I bought one and it worked. I took my stand doors off and my ph went from 7.7/7.8 to 8.4/8.5 almost immediately. The next step would have been running the air intake of the skimmer to outside and have a small carbon filter at the end but didnt make it there lol. I read alot that co2 scrubber you will be always changing out the media because it depletes really fast. I didnt want to always be buy more media

My sump and cabinets are door free, 4 people and two dogs on a super tight house. Can't open windows in colder months due to elderly father. Appreciate everyone's input though.

My sump and cabinets are door free, 4 people and two dogs on a super tight house. Can't open windows in colder months due to elderly father. Appreciate everyone's input though.
Can you drill a small hole to run the skimmer air intake outside?

I was using a two little fishes reactor with media and it did ok but I don’t want to keep paying for media, so o just ran a line in my basement to run outside. And it’s working well.

Made the right choice of soda lime from med vet. I found that media last the longest for the amount of improvement that it gives. Of course the cost too.

I use one on my 125 gallon tank. I get my Media from Med Vet and buy the 5 gallon container. I change the media every couple weeks and the 5 gallons lasted me about a year before I had to get another one.

So after configuring the GFI and Carbon reactor with some soda lime and running for a couple days. I'm now at
Screenshot_20210307-110240.png
Screenshot_20210306-225131.png
8.02 and 8.37 respectfully.

Oh it definitely works but it just depletes fast unless you can get it to recirculate the skimmer air. When I tried it, the ph went up fast then about a week later I lost some acros. Might not be related but keep your eye out!

Oh it definitely works but it just depletes fast unless you can get it to recirculate the skimmer air. When I tried it, the ph went up fast then about a week later I lost some acros. Might not be related but keep your eye out!
Planning on the recirculating aspect, just need some tubing as the lid to my skimmer has 8 air holes in it.

Planning on the recirculating aspect, just need some tubing as the lid to my skimmer has 8 air holes in it.
just cover 7 with tape and use one for the tubing for the scrubber. it works great.if the ph goes to high you mite need a 1/2" electric solenoid. HSH-Flo 1/2" DN15 110-230VAC

I’m thinking about pulling the trigger on a recirculating scrubber too. I always considered the gas exchange in my skimmer to be significantly beneficial. Any thoughts around the potential negative impacts of eliminating this gas exchange with a recirculating scrubber? I know some control it with a solenoid that’s pulls in ambient air periodically but I’ve read that some see their ph never gets high enough for that to kick in.

I’m thinking about pulling the trigger on a recirculating scrubber too. I always considered the gas exchange in my skimmer to be significantly beneficial. Any thoughts around the potential negative impacts of eliminating this gas exchange with a recirculating scrubber? I know some control it with a solenoid that’s pulls in ambient air periodically but I’ve read that some see their ph never gets high enough for that to kick in.
i had to put a solenoid on mines it goes way up. but i think it all depends on the skimmer pulling air. i have a reef octopus and i can tell you i get at day 8.4 and 8.2 at night and thats with the solenoid with out it it goes higher. never got this high without the scrubber. i even had a line outside before the scrubber and the highest was 8.15

i had to put a solenoid on mines it goes way up. but i think it all depends on the skimmer pulling air. i have a reef octopus and i can tell you i get at day 8.4 and 8.2 at night and thats with the solenoid with out it it goes higher. never got this high without the scrubber. i even had a line outside before the scrubber and the highest was 8.15
I'm running Reef Octo Elite 200 SSS.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back