Connecting two tanks

LaxFrags

found a cheap frag tank and it would be nice to have no sump and just add to the water volume. I’ve been researching a bit and came to the conclusion that it’s gonna need a sump to connect the two tanks if I went ahead and bought it, but was hoping someone else may know something. Thanks

basically it is 1 system both drain to the sump and split the returns to both tanks end of story. best to have them in close vacinity to each other. as the more distance return has to travel the bigger return pump you will need.

basically it is 1 system both drain to the sump and split the returns to both tanks end of story. best to have them in close vacinity to each other. as the more distance return has to travel the bigger return pump you will need.
The tanks would be close to each other. The frag would probably sit on my fragging station unfortunately but I can easily put in another table for something like that.

You can do 2 tanks with no sump. One would pump water to the other, which then overflows back. The higher tank could serve as a fuge in this config or whatever you want it to be.
My 20g is way higher. Does this mean they’d have to be connected somehow? I’d like both tanks to be reefs, just connect them somehow. I’d use the sump built into the back of the waterbox as my fuge, maybe put in a small light strip to grow some chaeto.

edit-wouldn’t the tank just overflow if the return pump from one tank to the next stopped, or is that what the overflow is for?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
My 20g is way higher. Does this mean they’d have to be connected somehow? I’d like both tanks to be reefs, just connect them somehow. I’d use the sump built into the back of the waterbox as my fuge, maybe put in a small light strip to grow some chaeto.

edit-wouldn’t the tank just overflow if the return pump from one tank to the next stopped, or is that what the overflow is for?

quick scribbled sketch obviously you would need to add valves to control flow of drains and returns.
7F93E936-1EBA-4714-AC23-E670CE4F19DA.jpeg

It’s 9pm. Stay your a** up until you figure it out.
highest tank can drain into secondary lower tank. Secondary tank can drain into the sump. The pump returns to the highest tank.
make sure you have enough headroom in your sump to handle the back flow in an event of power outage.

It’s 9pm. Stay your a$$ up until you figure it out.
highest tank can drain into secondary lower tank. Secondary tank can drain into the sump. The pump returns to the highest tank.
make sure you have enough headroom in your sump to handle the back flow in an event of power outage.
Lmao, Good way of putting it, that helped me understand. Thanks. I’ll figure it out!

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back