Constant diatoms bloom

eddie pr

Non-member
So my 90 gallons mixed reef is been geting constant diatoms bloom on sand bed and rock ! My tank is over 2 1/2 years old and this is been happening for the past two monts and i dont know where it come from !
Ammonoa 0
Nitrates les than 1ppm
Po4 .dont test it
Ca 440
Alk 8.4
Mag 3800
Lights 2 hydras 52
Skimmer reef octopus sro 2000
Wave maker jebao mp40 and mp25
Run 3/4 cup of carbon (change every 3 weeks and 1 cup gfo change every mont
Use redsea pro salt
5 stage ro/di unit from purewater club 100gpd
Change the filters every 7 months (the only thing i see is the DI recine is obout 1 year and is only half of it change color ..the cartige seems like is not full ..mean see a gap like 1 inch of empty space on the bottom when i turnit on and see some of the di recine tumbling !
Any toods that can help

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

So my 90 gallons mixed reef is been geting constant diatoms bloom on sand bed and rock ! My tank is over 2 1/2 years old and this is been happening for the past two monts and i dont know where it come from !
Ammonoa 0
Nitrates les than 1ppm
Po4 .dont test it
Ca 440
Alk 8.4
Mag 3800
Lights 2 hydras 52
Skimmer reef octopus sro 2000
Wave maker jebao mp40 and mp25
Run 3/4 cup of carbon (change every 3 weeks and 1 cup gfo change every mont
Use redsea pro salt
5 stage ro/di unit from purewater club 100gpd
Change the filters every 7 months (the only thing i see is the DI recine is obout 1 year and is only half of it change color ..the cartige seems like is not full ..mean see a gap like 1 inch of empty space on the bottom when i turnit on and see some of the di recine tumbling !
Any toods that can help

Actualy the ro/di is from funtainhead water sistem.and nothing new is been ad to the tank !

Silica is usually the contributer to diatoms
Sponge consumes it naturally and I believe gfo reduces it as well

I’m having outbreak currently but on new system. Began treatment with dinoX

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well my sistem is almost 3 years ..but the funy thing is that this just startint to happen 2 months ago and is worsen ! Only thing i can think is some thing wrong with my water ..have read before that saturated DI recine release silica .. just wairing for others diferent opinions to get a comclusion cause i can't find any other reason for it to happen (i just order a refill di mixed from brs)

Well im sure is not dinos what i have now in the morning after the lights been out dor the whole night is about 90% gone . then aftwr the ligjts go on for a wile start to come back

No brown ..not slime at the toch .. and in the rock if i blowit in the rock is like dust

Sounds more like diatoms than Dino. I’ve been having the same issue on my tank of 2 years. BRS has told me a few times now if I’m getting 0 tds water, they doubt it’s my RO unit. (I get 0-1 tds before my dual DI canisters) I’ve called and inquired about replacement filters a few times.

Well for what i have read cylica is a negative atom so i think tds metter will not detected . I been loking at the BRS mixed bed DI recine wich is more on tha ANION side .anion is the one that more atract the negative atoms .. to see if that improve the situation .. my Di recine is the only filter i have not replace yet .. from there i dont know what else to try .. i have not put or do anyrhing diferent on my tank for the past two years
91f396a0d9f72ee15af0eea25cb3c2a3.jpg
7647a7814bb1adbe929a238c49311772.jpg
b81a945b88eda80ef41cdafc24d67e05.jpg
fbf89f2f010ea7230f0f2346120893bf.jpg

Back