Controlling Aptasia

ileas

Non-member
What has everyone done for controlling aptasia? Pep Shrimp don't seem to be doing the job anymore. 125 gal tank btw so its a lot of cleaning

How many peppermints do you have? They're known to hunt in packs and the more the better. I just added 4 to a 40g and they cleared out the aptasia in 2-3 weeks. I would imagine 9-10 would work in your tank. The sponsor NEMO is currently selling them at $5 a piece (I just saw that Love the Reef is selling them for $15 each!). I've not had success with Berghia nudibranchs but others have. A copperband butterfly is also know to work but can be hard to acclimate - though feeding them whole clams seems to help. In my experience aptasia eating filefish are completely useless, though others may disagree.

Good luck! At the end of day aptasia are a pretty minor nuisance, don't let them bother you too much, everyone has them - it's mostly about control rather than irradication.

How many peppermints do you have? They're known to hunt in packs and the more the better. I just added 4 to a 40g and they cleared out the aptasia in 2-3 weeks. I would imagine 9-10 would work in your tank. The sponsor NEMO is currently selling them at $5 a piece (I just saw that Love the Reef is selling them for $15 each!). I've not had success with Berghia nudibranchs but others have. A copperband butterfly is also know to work but can be hard to acclimate - though feeding them whole clams seems to help. In my experience aptasia eating filefish are completely useless, though others may disagree.

Good luck! At the end of day aptasia are a pretty minor nuisance, don't let them bother you too much, everyone has them - it's mostly about control rather than irradication.
You're right i really just need to control it because its getting out of hand. I had 4 or 5 and they did some work but slowly dissapeared

Peppermint shrimp always did it for me. I had a 120 at a restaurant that was completely covered. Added 6 plus a copper band and its been 3 weeks and about 80% gone

My son and I are currently trying the zap with kalkwasser and immediately cover with epoxy (using the tunze stuff that comes off easily). We had about 60 or so. Took about four tries but most are gone now. See if it stays that way or not. I've had peppermint work in main tank but this tank has eel and puffer and one or the other eats the peppermints.

I had a pretty bad outbreak that I finally have under control. Use a combo of nudibranchs (breeding them in a separate tank and adding about 10 every 2 weeks), peppermints, majano wand, F-Aptasia and Kalkwasser paste. They didn’t stand a chance!

I put a copperband in my 120 and I haven't seen any aptasia since. It is actually one of my favorite fish now. I've also used peppermints with success. Since you have the larger tank, I'd go with a copperband. For the money you would actually see it unlike the shrimp or bergia.

I haven't heard of this product but freely admit to being immature enough to enjoy the name.

Yes, I had a 6 line wrasse and I think he enjoyed the nudibranchs so that is why I decided to raise them in a separate tank. He jumped a couple of months ago and just like that, my aptasia have started disappearing rather quickly. Go figure. I haven’t tried a CBB as I have a clam in my tank, and that would not go over well, but I heard they are very effective.

I use concentrated kalkwasser and just spray in the mouth. I have 1 or 2 that pops up every few months and just shut off all the pumps and kill those suckers. I actually may try using some super glue to cover up the whole to further kill them as I've read that helps.

I also plan on putting all new corals I get (if I get anymore as I'm pretty stuffed and afboundguy's better 1/2 says I already have too many frags) on fresh plugs just to be extra safe.

I just got my first one for the tank that has the issue and so far is happy and healthy for a few weeks now.

In the past I used 3 on a 54g corner tank and they cleaned house. I just bought only 1 for my bio cube didn’t want to get more because I’d be afraid they turn on corals one they ran out of aiptasia... no dice with this one. He mostly hides in a cave I rarely ever see him out if at all and I’m not sure he’s even touching the aiptasia. Also I’m hardly feeding the tank.

Back