coral beauty and the brain

kskvarci

Non-member
I was playing around with the external flash and got this shot. Looks like I figured out how to catch moving fish :p

DSCN2235.sized.jpg

Awesome shot. It looks like a fake fish.

Do you have any trouble with that fish picking at your corals: softies, SPS, or LPS?
How long have you had the fish in the tank w/ coral?

Wow Ken! That's an amazing shot! Is the external flash completely separate from the camera? Can you tell us more about how you took that picture?

Nate

NateHanson said:
Wow Ken! That's an amazing shot! Is the external flash completely separate from the camera? Can you tell us more about how you took that picture?

Nate

I've got a Nikon 990 with this bracket:

rollbar.jpg

Tripod mounted in macro mode at an angle to the glass about 2 feet back on a cable release.

In regards to the fish: Yeah it picks at the corals every now and then (the brain and montis), but MUCH less than it did when I put him in the tank. Hes never done any real damage. He's actually turning out to be a good little fish. Time will tell. I've had him in there for about 1 month.

Last edited:
kskvarci said:
In regards to the fish: Yeah it picks at the corals every now and then (the brain and montis), but MUCH less than it did when I put him in the tank. Hes never done any real damage. He's actually turning out to be a good little fish. Time will tell. I've had him in there for about 1 month.
Do you have any clams?

NateHanson said:
Hmm. Now that I see your rig, I'm less interested in advice. Seems that you're out of my league. :)

Nate

I used to be more into digital photography. Its nice that I have the equipment lying around. I've forgotten how to use it though!

No clams although I want some in the future... Hopefully the beauty wont pick on em.

my lemon peel didn't pick on any of my lps or sps but once i put a clam in there, it wouldn't leave it alone. the second i saw that i put the guy in the fuge. stupid angel.

TheUltimateNoob said:
my lemon peel didn't pick on any of my lps or sps but once i put a clam in there, it wouldn't leave it alone. the second i saw that i put the guy in the fuge. stupid angel.

What did i tell you?!
Lol!
so you want for angel in your tank? :D

Here's on more. Although its really crisp, it looks like it was taken with a flash which I'm not too fond of.

We ought to have a photography forum.

DSCN2252_001.sized.jpg

The most useful piece of advice I have found for shooting through glass is to make sure the flash is at an angle. Shooting straight on gives you that great flash spot in the picture. Tripods and cable releases are great, and I highly recommend them, but they are not for everyone.
Your milage may vary.

Awesome pictures! I like the colors on that coral beauty. Is that a bare bottom tank?

When I see gorgeous pictures like that I wish I had a camera. Maybe in my next life I'll be rich?

Awesome pictures! I like the colors on that coral beauty. Is that a bare bottom tank?

Thanks. Yes it is bare bottom. Its actually lined with a quarter inch thick black cuttingboard cut to size. Coraline grows on the cuttingboard like its going out of style. For me, the tank is easier to keep clean this way.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back