Coral spawning in home aquariums?

Arsalan

____LifeLongLearner____ BRS BoD
Officer
BRS Member
I'm talking about planula popping out of the polyps and floating away.
I'm really curious if anyone has ever witnessed it in their tank. Considering it happens in the oceans once a year on large scale, I'm wondering if it also happens in our reef tanks. I would assume it's way less common but I'd like to think it does take place.

Is it possible to simulate lunar cycles to make this happen in our tanks?

any experience with this?
Better yet, any pictures??

It’s possible if you give it the right conditions. There’s a video of Terrance from Neptune’s interviewing a professor in California that’s doing this. I believe you need total blackout room so only the lights and moonlights hit the tank and he follows the apex light/lunar schedule.

It’s possible if you give it the right conditions. There’s a video of Terrance from Neptune’s interviewing a professor in California that’s doing this. I believe you need total blackout room so only the lights and moonlights hit the tank and he follows the apex light/lunar schedule.
That sounds like a huge commitment, and totally worth it if I ran out of other things to do with my tanks haha
I'm going to check out that video, thanks for sharing!

I’ve had rock flower nems spawn and have babies in my tanks. I was lucky and saw it happen one time, have some video of it somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes. I have had sps spawning in my previous tank before. Nothing was done to provoke them.

I had a RBTA spawn yrs ago. Just happened, no triggering event as far as I knew.

I have two acan frags sitting somewhat close together, but not touching in my sandbed. One of the frags looks like it has babies from the other growing at the base. Or maybe they mated and I'll end up with an amazing quad colored mix that sells for a bazillion dollars! :D:p

I have had Aiptasia spawn before. I am so successful that I now have hundreds! Haha

In all seriousness, this looks pretty cool and very tempting. Just need time and unlimited resources!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There was a vidio from macna a year or so ago of an British professor who was successful. He had a Total light control and seasonal temperature control.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back