Couple new additions

mvallee

Non-member
After a few bumps in the road my tank seems to be back on track and time to start spending money again.

I still have Aiptasia and after several attempts to rid the tank of them with Peppermint shrimps, Kalk Paste and boiling hot water squirted in the mouth (which caused an explosion of them) I decided to give file Filefish a try. I really thought they were too ugly to add to my tank but now that I have them I find them to be so ugly they are cute and so interesting to watch. They just hover in one spot staring at a section of rock, occasionally pecking at some unseen critter. They are an aquacultured Bonded pair and they hopefully start eating Aiptasia but as of now they are eating everything I feed the rest of the tank and I definitely a great addition to the tank.

IMG_20190330_082422.jpg
IMG_20190330_082239.jpg

Next is a Moyers Leopard Wrasse, I am a sucker for Leopard Wrasses and thought this one was cool. Not the most colorful but a very active addition and eating frozen foods already.
IMG_20190330_082544.jpg

I also bought a pair of gumdrop Coral Crouchers, that I have not seen since adding to tank. After researching they are very reclusive so a little disappointed I did not find that first.
not my pic as I have no idea where they are in my tank.
Capture.JPG

I even bought a few corals this last week, a couple torches, hammer and Zoa's, Can't wait for these to grow out.

IMG_20190330_085354.jpg

After a little over a year old my tank is looking good again (from a distance) and I can start to enjoy it again
IMG_20190330_083051.jpg

Sweet. Do the file fish munch any anemones? Are they safe with LPS?
I have not seen any interest in the aiptasia yet but I have read it can take a few weeks. As far as LPS I have heard it is hit or miss once the Aiptasia is gone, Zoa's are more likely from what I've read. Fingers crossed they remain model citizens

I’ve had 3 of the mated file fish. Took about 2/3 weeks to start on aiptaisia. After the apaitsia was gone all 3 went right after zoanthids. Didn’t touch anything else.

I’ve had 3 of the mated file fish. Took about 2/3 weeks to start on aiptaisia. After the apaitsia was gone all 3 went right after zoanthids. Didn’t touch anything else.
Curious, in your experience will they eat Aiptasia as big or bigger than they are?

They ate some larger aiptasia but not bigger than the fish was. I didn’t have any aiptaisia they were 1 1/2 to 2”

If that’s the case, I’d aptasia x the big one and if it grows back or spreads it will be more a size the file fish would eat.

I used aptaisiaX for 6 to 7months and finally about 8 months ago I bought a file fish. It took about a week when he started to eat large to tiny aptasia and within a few weeks they where gone. But this is where it starts, because now he turns to my very expensive zoas and wipes them all out ,i didnt know at the time that file fish eat zoas. I thought some pest was eating my zoas. I would get up in the middle of the night with my flashlight looking deep into the zoas for pests but couldn't find any. The file fish was always hovering around the zoas picking and I was thinking that he is eating more pests that i couldn't see. I put him to the test and bought one campfire zoa put it up on the frag rack and watch the file fish eat my zoa. Sorry for the long story but i had to get it off my chest, yes I still have him. Good luck

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

The upside is that they are dumb as it gets and ridiculously easy to catch after the aiptasia is gone.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back