Cover, paint, or leave it alone

FishieBusiness

BRS Member
I putting together a new tank set up and I'm looking for options. What do you think about the back of the tank? Do I cover it? Do I paint it? If so what paint is safe to use? Or just leave it be? My last 2tanks had been open backed up against a wall.

So let me know...

Thanks Matt

I've heard of people using stick on window tint but not sure how well it works. My current tank started bare, but couldn't stand seeing the wires behind the tank and ended up painting it black. 10x cleaner and better looking now, at least until the Coraline algae takes over the whole back glass. :D

Black will look the best when the tank is new but blue will look better after everything is grown out imo. just use some flat black/blue enamel paint. Wipe down the tank with some alcohol to get any grease and dirt off of it. Then give it a few light coats of paint. If you’re drilling the tank , I’d do that first then cover the holes to paint.

Depends. If you have wires running to the back, yes paint it. If not, I would leave it clear.

I've heard of people using stick on window tint but not sure how well it works. My current tank started bare, but couldn't stand seeing the wires behind the tank and ended up painting it black. 10x cleaner and better looking now, at least until the Coraline algae takes over the whole back glass. :D
I used this and it works well for awhile. After a few years, water got underneath where the return line is. Now it doesn't look so great. But if you have a tank full of beautiful corals, eventually you will never actually look at the back glass.

I did bare. Took a year for coralline to cover it to hide wires and pipes. Patience just like everything else in this hobby. But I am also lazy so...

+1 on plasti dip. If you’re indecisive like me you know you can peel it right off later if you don’t like it.
Scraping paint with a razor sucked

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plus the plasti-dip is more durable than acrylic paint and doesn't look trashed as soon as you get water on it.

I did a layer or two of blue, with a layer or two of black behind it. Makes for a nice bright dark blue.

Back