littlest reefs

littlest reef

BRS Member
Hi,

My house is undergoing renovation and will be done in about 6 months. When it's complete, I plan to upgrade my reef from a 30 gallon to a ~100 gallon, and then I am also looking into setting up a large fish only, probably in the 3-400 gallon neighborhood. Wondering if anyone on here has a custom tank builder recommendation. It's hard to tell what's real and what's crap from an online search.

I used coast to coast in NJ. Very impressed with the quality. 6'x3'x2' (LxWxH). I picked it up which made it similar ballpark in price to Miracles shipped to my door.

tank preview.jpg

I've had good luck with glass cages in the past. Here is a good litmus test. Email a bunch of them and see how long it takes for them to get back to you.

Joe from glass cages is very active on r2r and responds very quickly. He will happily schedule a call, even just to talk logistics. Their turnaround time is also much much faster than the more expensive brands. If I'm not mistaken, glass cages made the big coral tanks at @LoveTheReef

I had tank made by glasscage and mircacles before. They both build great tank and could last for a very long time. I think Miracles aquarium do a better job with the seam and silicone than glasscage.
Not sure the lead times now with glasscage but it will take at least 4-6 months if you order from Miracles

Very helpful thank you. Other two issues are 1 - how did you guys get it in your house? And 2 - does anyone have a custom stand builder referral?

On moving, it's a straight shot into the house and the width of my front door is 42" so at least dimension wise we're good. But wondering if I should find movers / loaders. Rough estimation tank could weigh 400 lbs dry.

Rollers and suction cups will get it into your house, just make sure the dimensions work to get through a door.

If you don’t need a primo (read 2x cost) tank then miracles will give you a good tank. I’ve used them in the past.

Calciumbuf on here used to build stands or you can order a metal stand from miracles with the build and skim it

Has anyone pre-cycled a tank this large? I am wondering if I just get trashcans now with the rock and start cycling in my basement with dr. tims / microbacter

Has anyone pre-cycled a tank this large? I am wondering if I just get trashcans now with the rock and start cycling in my basement with dr. tims / microbacter
@ReefBum just precycled a big tank! He discussed it on this week's podcast with the guy from aquabiomics. Sounds like it worked well--but mostly due to the use of water from his display rather than the mb7 additions.

@ReefBum just precycled a big tank! He discussed it on this week's podcast with the guy from aquabiomics. Sounds like it worked well--but mostly due to the use of water from his display rather than the mb7 additions.
I was literally going to type that out about using tank water from display but my phone died during morning meditation, lol.

That is interesting I will check that out. I have been following the BRS series going on right now and in the past they've been advocates that water does nothing. I'm open to anything. Good thing is I have a nice runway here ~ 6 months to get things going.

I used Love the Reef to move my tank from my trailer onto the stand. They did an awesome job and my big requirement, they are insured in case something happens. My tank had to be flipped onto its side to make it through the front door then flipped back over to go onto the stand.

I had a custom aluminum stand built and then skinned it. I used Framing Tech for the stand and 80/20 for my light rack as Framing tech doesnt do black.

I cycled my rock in a rubbermaid stock tank for months before setting up the display.

frame tech stand.jpg
finished stand.jpg
light 1.jpg

This has been extremely helpful information.

Is there anyone on here who maintains a large fish only? This is not going to be a predator tank, planning to do a pretty balanced community. It would be good if I could pick someone’s brain locally. Based on discussion with my wife Were probably going to land in the 450 gallon neighborhood - 96x36x30. I am noodling around with gear, and a plan regarding medications I can run, as well as stocking.

I used Love the Reef to move my tank from my trailer onto the stand. They did an awesome job and my big requirement, they are insured in case something happens. My tank had to be flipped onto its side to make it through the front door then flipped back over to go onto the stand.

I had a custom aluminum stand built and then skinned it. I used Framing Tech for the stand and 80/20 for my light rack as Framing tech doesnt do black.

I cycled my rock in a rubbermaid stock tank for months before setting up the display.

View attachment 181070View attachment 181071View attachment 181072
Stand is 100% what I'm looking for. Our trim is going to be white, I want something that blends in other than having a monster in my living room.

Stand is 100% what I'm looking for. Our trim is going to be white, I want something that blends in other than having a monster in my living room.
Feel free to reach out if you want to come take a look, my tank is fairly new and just starting the ugly algae stage but can show you the stand and how I have things set up. I’m in Upton All of my fish and all of my invertebrates have been through qt. Two weeks in copper safe for fish and 3 months with no fish for all invertebrates. Planning to start next large invertebrate qt in a few days

Hi. This process has moved along since Saturday. I am honing in on a builder for the stand and tank.

Question - the tank is going to be 450 gallons at 96x36x30. Have any of you guys dealt with the engineering on your floor regarding tank weight? My house is being renovated, I'm wondering if I need to consider getting an engineer to review and likely sistering joists to support the load. The tank will weigh nearly 4000 lbs! Home is newer, but most residential load recommendations are like 40 / sq ft, this is about 170. Wondering generally if anyone has gone about this issue, obviously I'm not looking for someone to say "yup sounds like itll hold!"

Hi. This process has moved along since Saturday. I am honing in on a builder for the stand and tank.

Question - the tank is going to be 450 gallons at 96x36x30. Have any of you guys dealt with the engineering on your floor regarding tank weight? My house is being renovated, I'm wondering if I need to consider getting an engineer to review and likely sistering joists to support the load. The tank will weigh nearly 4000 lbs! Home is newer, but most residential load recommendations are like 40 / sq ft, this is about 170. Wondering generally if anyone has gone about this issue, obviously I'm not looking for someone to say "yup sounds like itll hold!"
@reefkeeper2 has a 98"x36"x28" tank, not sure if his floor in concrete or wood though.

1) you're going to need a new username.
2) you're going to sleep a lot better if you get an engineer to check out your house and develop the almost inevitable structural reinforcement plan.
3)sweet tank!

Hey man, I do alot of house remodeling and
If that tank is not going to sit on a concrete floor you need to structurally reinforce that floor underneath, keep in mind that 3600 lbs is just the water weight then there is the equipment and alot of rock/ corals/ sand etc.
Not to mention when u and a few friends are standing in front of it checking it out lol.
Furniture around it ( get it? Lol)
Don't chance it man its not going to be pretty.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back