Custom Lighting

davidrupe

Non-member
Instead of paying big bucks for special lighting, MH ... etc., why can't I make an array of lighting using normal HD bulbs? I can buy MH bulbs at HD for < $30. Can I build my own using the types of lights attatched.
I guess I don't understand why type of lighting is truly necessary for a coral tank. What is wrong with a HD MH flood light at 400 watts? It is only $180 at HD as opposed to $500+ at a pet shop.

Attachments

• old_bulb.jpg
    old_bulb.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 209
  • 162850_4.jpg
    162850_4.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 221
This is a short answer to a more complex question but the colour spectrum from that bulb is all wrong for corals.

Jim

I think by the time you buy the pieces at HD, construct the fixture, and build an enclosure for the monster ballasts that come with the HD stuff you'll realize that the cost difference is minimal.

And I doubt you'll find bulbs of the right color temp for $30. The color temp of the HD bulbs is like 4000K. At one point I considered doing this and decided it just wasnt worth the effort to save only $100 or so. You might also want to look into the efficiency of the ballasts on those things. I seem to recall the ballasts that they use for aquarium and hydroponics stuff being significantly more efficient than the cheaper industrial ones.

Iwasakis may not be the most visually appealing to alot of people but no one can argue that the are nearly unmatched in output for growth of SPS.
Here is a link for instructions on building your own for $100 or less. You will not be able to find a more efficient syatem at this price anywhere.
http://aquarium.union.rpi.edu/rpi.html
Click Articles it is the second link

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back